Dr Philipp CeplPartner
Dr Philipp Cepl is an experienced patent litigator who represents clients in all patent related matters. He has participated in more than 150 local patent litigation and cross-border patent infringement cases, in particular in the life sciences (pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical devices) automotive and electronics sector.
In addition, Philipp is frequently handling nullity and opposition proceedings.
Philipp is co-editor of a high-profile commentary on IP procedural law ("Cepl/Voß, Prozesskommentar zum Gewerblichen Rechtsschutz").
- Advising and representing a leading US-based pharmaceutical company in several parallel preliminary injunction proceedings against generics manufacturers due to breach of a second medical use patent.
- Representing a global medical devices company in enforcing its patent on DNA amplification and sequencing.
- Representing an international telecommunication device manufacturer in a large-scale patent dispute including infringement and nullity actions brought by a non-practicing entity, covering a total of nine standard-essential and implementation patents.
- Representing a leading global pharmaceutical company in a preliminary injunction proceeding on the infringement of a Supplementary Protection Certificate covering a veterinary drug.
- Enforcing a medical device patent of a global medical device manufacturer covering a video laryngoscope in preliminary injunction proceedings against two infringers at Medica trade fair.
- Representing a client in court proceedings concerning the transfer of a patent covering a recombinant pharmaceutical for the treatment of a hematologic disease.
- Representing a client in a patent infringement action relating to co-browsing.
- Technical University Dresden, Ph.D., 2004
- Higher Regional Court of Cologne, Second State Examination, 2003
- University of Cologne, First State Examination, 1999
Awards & Recognitions
- JUVE Patent 2022/2023: Frequently recommended for patents: patent litigation/lawyers
- Legal 500 Germany 2022: Recommended for intellectual property: patent litigation; “Extraordinary expertise, smart litigator with highest expertise in substantive law, efficient.”; “Philipp Cepl is an outstanding patent litigator whom we hold in extremely high esteem, both personally and professionally. Particularly noteworthy is his effective working method, which is always oriented towards the client's goals and needs.”
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023: Recommended for intellectual property law
- IAM Patents 1000: “Zeroes in on clients’ business objectives”, client
- Expert Guides Rising Stars 2017 and 2018: Highlighted as rising star for patent law
Philipp regularly publishes articles on patent related matters and is publisher of a high-profile commentary on IP procedural law ("Cepl/Voß, Prozesskommentar zum Gewerblichen Rechtsschutz").
- "34 DLA Piper lawyers in nine countries ranked among The World's Leading Patent Professionals," DLA Piper, October 30, 2019
Prior to joining DLA Piper at its Cologne office in October 2017, Philipp worked in the patent litigation teams of two leading international law firms in Düsseldorf (2003-2017).
Memberships And Affiliations
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR)
- Association of Intellectual Property Experts (VPP)
My latest insights
The UPC´s long-arm jurisdiction: Uncharted Waters or Business as Usual?
13 December 2022 .2 minute read
DLA Piper advises Philip Morris International Inc. on the completion of its US$16 billion...
14 November 2022 .3 minute read