Nicholas Chan has a corporate law practice with a focus on commercial real estate, acquisitions, corporate finance, professional services and complex contractual matters.
Nicholas regularly represents sophisticated real estate investors with acquisitions, joint ventures and partnerships, development, property and asset management, leasing, and financing of commercial, residential and retail assets in Canada. Nicholas adds value to clients by providing strategic advice, which minimizes and counters risk to help achieve successful outcomes on all types of real estate projects. In 2023, Nicholas was listed in The Canadian Legal 500 guide for Real Estate Law.
Nicholas's experience and expertise also extends into the financial services market. He routinely works with a variety of financial institutions, credit providers, institutional investors and private borrowers with respect to their debt and equity financing activities and transactions. Specifically, Nicholas is known for his work on project financings, asset-backed loan facilities, mezzanine commercial loan transactions, structure equipment financings and leases, and recapitalizations and restructurings.
Nicholas has also developed an expertise in advising and assisting clients in the medical, dental and other professional services with matters related to the acquisition and opening of practices, the transition from public to private practices, and liaising with governmental authorities and professional associations. Furthermore, he advises his professional services clients with respect to general corporate and governance issues that arise in businesses, professional corporations, and primary care networks and alternative relationship plans.
- Acted for a large private real estate development group, in their land development activities throughout Canada.
- Acted for a large private equity firm, in their real property acquisition, management, partnerships and financing.
- Acted for Stantec Inc., (NYSE, TSX: STN) in its $1.25 billion credit facilities to finance, in part, the successful acquisition of MWH Global, Inc. for approximately US$793 million.
- Acted for a privately held company, in the automotive sector, in the negotiation and finalization of financing with a financial institution and related asset purchase transaction.
- Acted for a privately held company, in the oil and gas energy services sector in the purchase of the issued and outstanding shares of a privately held company.
- Acted for a large public company in their transition into the private and online health care services industry.
- Acted for large and small private medical and dental groups in their acquisition of multiple practices.
- LLB (Hons), University of East London, 2008
- BA Economics, University of Alberta, 2004
- LLM, BPP Law School, 2011
- Legal 500 Canada (Real Estate)
- Edmonton Community Legal Centre
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association