Heng Loong CheongPartner
Heng Loong Cheong is a Partner in the Corporate team, based in DLA Piper’s Hong Kong office.
Heng’s practice covers public and private mergers and acquisitions, complex corporate reorganisations and equity and debt capital markets transactions, with a particular emphasis on the emerging markets, insurance, technology, logistics, natural resources and renewable energy sectors.
Prior to joining the firm in June 2012, Heng spent over 15 years in London and Hong Kong at London and New York headquartered international law firms focusing on M&A and complex corporate reorganisations and transactions.
- Advising KLN Investment (US) LLC (an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Kerry Logistics Network Limited) with its acquisition of the Topocean Group, one of the world’s leading freight forwarding and logistics service provider, for USD240 million.
- Advising CVS Health and Aetna with its disposal of private medical insurance business outside of the Americas and India to Allianz, including portfolio transfers in Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Advising Aetna with its disposal of Thailand insurance business through a share sale to Allianz, including the related transitional services and trademark licensing arrangements.
- Advising on joint venture between AffaMed Therapeutics and SIFI S.p.A. on premium innovative intraocular lenses in the PRC, including Taiwan, Macau and Hong Kong.
- Advising Pelican Ventures on acquisition of the Lloyd’s Hong Kong Coverholder of the Argo Group.
- Advising the Honor Roll Group on the sale of Dalian Huamei Bilingual School and Dalian American International School, to the Nord Anglia Education Group.
- Advising Marsh & McLennan Companies, a renowned insurance intermediary group, in their global post-acquisition integration (with the former Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group) on nine APAC jurisdictions including the PRC, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Taiwan, Macau, Indonesia and the Philippines, which includes business transfers, share transfers, mergers, and various submissions to the local insurance regulators.
- Advising Kerry Logistics on its acquisition of the remaining 49% stake of the APEX Group (it acquired 51% stake in the group in 2016 for USD88 million).
- Advising Wilson HCG Group on acquisition of the Profile Group, an executive-search group with business in Hong Kong and Singapore.
- Advising Kerry Logistics on the acquisition of a majority stake in the US freight forwarding business, Apex Maritime and its affiliated companies (APEX) and on the acquisition of the Able Logistics pan-Middle East freight forwarding and land transport business.
- Advising Aflac Incorporated, a US insurer, on its USD20 million minority equity investment in Singapore Life, a digitally-focused life insurance company based in Singapore.
- Advising CVS Health and Aetna as their international (non-US) insurance regulatory counsel for CVS Health's USD69 billion merger with Aetna.
- Advising Aetna on its purchase as part of a competitive auction process of the Bupa Health insurance business in Thailand.
- Bahasa Melayu
- Chinese (Cantonese)
- Brasenose College, Oxford University, M.A., 2003
- School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, M.A. China Area Studies (with Distinction), 1998
- The College of Law, (England & Wales), Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, 1997
Brasenose College, Oxford University, B.A. Jurisprudence, 1996
- Heng Loong is recognised as a leading lawyer for China non-contentious insurance practice (international firm) by Chambers Greater China Region 2022, where a client praises him for "his knowledge, skill, experience and relentless effort to help us achieve our business goals."
- Heng Loong is endorsed as “Highly Regarded” lawyer for M&A in Hong Kong by IFLR1000 (2020).
- Heng Loong is recognised in Legal500 Asia Pacific (2021) in the field of Corporate and M&A (Foreign Firms) in China.
- Heng Loong is recognised as a leading lawyer for China non-contentious insurance practice (international firm) by Chambers Asia Pacific 2021, where a client praises his “good balance between technical strength and commercial practicality”.
- Heng Loong is recognised as a leading lawyer for China non-contentious insurance practice (international firm) by Chambers Asia Pacific 2019, where a client said that “Cheong Heng Loong is a 'very driven and impressive lawyer' who is 'extremely personable, experienced and sharp, being able to understand issues and offer pragmatic advice".
- Heng Loong is recognised as a leading lawyer for China non-contentious insurance practice (international firm) by Chambers Asia Pacific 2018, the source said “He is a highly intelligent analytical individual who brings innovative solutions to resolving deal issues”.
- Legal500 Asia Pacific 2017 edition (Hong Kong: Insurance) notes client feedback that "Heng Loong Cheong is ‘practical, responsive and has excellent industry knowledge’".
- "Insurance Sector Trends: Forecast for 2018 and 2017 Year End Review," Insurance Update, February 5, 2018
Memberships And Affiliations
- Non-official member of the Industry Advisory Committees of the Insurance Authority
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- Law Society of England and Wales
My latest insights
Hong Kong: Should you deregister or liquidate that subsidiary?
28 June 2022 .4 minute read
DLA Piper advises Kerry Logistics on USD240 million acquisition of Topocean Group
2 May 2022 .2 minute read