Senior Land Use Planner
Brian focuses on land use planning, zoning entitlement, and site plan implementation for complex development projects. With over two decades in the industry, Brian represents clients ranging from global data center operators and national mixed-use developers to private schools and individual homeowners, guiding them through the approval processes for mixed-used, residential, commercial, data center, retail, and hotel projects throughout Northern Virginia.
By leveraging his key relationships – cultivated by his extensive, relevant experience in both the public and private sectors - Brian has a long, proven history of success obtaining major entitlements and approvals.
By virtue of his wide-ranging background, Brian effectively and efficiently shepherds his clients through the entire land development process. He brings his unique perspective and insight to bear as he guides our clients from initial site due diligence, Comprehensive Plan amendments and zoning entitlements through the important post-entitlement, technical approval and implementation stages.
Brian is a key member and leader in our storied Land Use & Zoning Team.
*Brian Clifford is not a lawyer.
- Macerich, Tysons Corner Center – zoning entitlement to transform the existing flagship 2.5 million square foot regional mall into a vibrant, 6 million square foot mixed-use, transit-oriented community by adding over 3.5 million square feet of office, residential, and commercial uses, integrated into the Metro Silver Line’s Tysons Metro Station in Tysons, Virginia.
- The Taubman Company, Fair Oaks Mall – amendments to both the Fairfax County parking requirements and Comprehensive Plan to facilitate the redevelopment of the 1.2 million square foot mall into a transit-oriented, mixed-use development with up to 3.6 million additional square feet of residential, commercial, and retail development.
- Corporate Office Properties Trust (COPT), Waterside North – zoning entitlement approval to develop Waterside North in Loudoun County, Virginia, with 1.0+ million square feet of data centers, followed by proffer amendment approval to secure additional, creative financing for a critical, regional US$60+ million road-widening project (Old Ox Road, State Rt. 606) and integrate an electrical substation into the approved zoning concept plans; negotiations with land owners along Old Ox Road to obtain right-of-way dedication agreements for the Old Ox Road widening project.
- QTS, Shellhorn – zoning entitlement approval to permit over 1 million square feet of data center in Ashburn, Virginia’s “Data Center Alley”, subsequent dedication and easement document preparation and processing, as well as site permit processing, performance bond extension package preparation and processing, and assistance with electric and fiber optic utility line extension negotiations.
- QTS, West Dulles Station/Lockridge– zoning entitlement approval to permit up to 1.2 million square feet of data center and substation uses, assistance with negotiations with Loudoun County on relocation of Lockridge/Shellhorn Roads, as well as with Dominion Energy-Virginia on substation location and transmission/distribution line relocations; preparation and processing of dedication and easement documents as well as performance bond package.
- QTS, Innovation Campus – management of right-of-way dedication and easement document preparation and processing, early grading and site permit package processing, performance bond package preparation and processing for their multi-phase 107-acre data center campus in Prince William County, Virginia.
- Chick-Fil-A, Inc, Sugarland Plaza – zoning entitlement approval to facilitate the razing and rebuilding of the existing location in Sugarland Plaza Shopping Center in Loudoun County, Virginia as part of Chick-Fil-A’s nationwide efforts to modernize their existing locations.
- The Halle Companies, Kingstowne M&N – zoning entitlement approval to develop a vacant site, previously approved for office, in the heart of Kingstowne Town Center with two multi-family buildings totaling 646 dwelling units, along with up to 11,400 square feet of retail space.
- The Halle Companies, Kingstowne Parcel O – zoning entitlement approval to redevelop a partially vacant retail parcel, also in Kingstowne Towne Center’s core, with up to 329 multi-family dwelling units.
- Stewart Investment Partners, Horseshoe Drive – zoning entitlement approval to redevelop the 11-acre office site with up to 288,000 square feet of data center uses.
- Stewart Investment Partners, Manekin Plaza – zoning entitlement approval to redevelop the 12-acre flex-industrial site with up to 313,000 square feet of data center uses.
- B.A., Masters in Urban & Regional Planning, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University 2011
- B.A., University of Virginia 2000
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Land Use/Zoning (2022)
- "Comstock angles to redevelop Koons auto dealerships in Tysons," FFX Now (December 2, 2022)
- "Macerich revises plan for next phase of Tysons Corner Center, including bigger tower to replace Lord & Taylor," Washington Business Journal (November 23, 2022)
- "Halle Cos. selling Kingstowne lot for multifamily development," Washington Business Journal (August 18, 2022)
- "Tysons Corner Center Moving Forward with 1.26M-SF Second Phase; Adds Office Option, Retail Building," The Fairfax Newsletter, Volume 66, Number 24 (December 31, 2021)
- "With revised Phase 2 plans, Tysons Corner Center builds on plaza, moves office space closer to Metro," Tyson Reporter (December 28, 2021)
- "Macerich priming pump for next phase of Tysons Corner Center," Washington Business Journal (December 23, 2021)
- "County board approves vehicle sales at Tysons Corner Center," Tyson Reporter (December 9, 2021)
- Ten (10) years with a Northern Virginia civil engineering consulting firm (2008-2018)
- Eight (8) years in the Office of the Chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors (2000-2008)
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Planning Association