Ann-Marie ColemanShe/herSenior Associate
Ann-Marie is a financial services and insurance regulatory lawyer, with experience advising on wide-ranging matters including high impact regulatory reforms, product development, product distribution models, AFS and credit licensing and other regulatory and compliance project work (such as customer remediation programs).
Ann-Marie is a trusted adviser to a range of financial services providers, including insurers (and insurance intermediaries), FinTech/InsurTech businesses, payment service providers, and credit providers.
Ann-Marie’s experience also extends to advising on insurance portfolio transfers (under court-approved schemes), the acquisition and transfer of insurance broker businesses and other significant acquisitions of insurance and financial services entities.
Ann-Marie was recognised as a finalist in the 2020 Lawyers Weekly 30 under 30 Financial Services category.
- Advised an APRA-authorised insurer on the transfer of its insurance portfolio to another insurer under a court-approved scheme, including the attainment of necessary APRA/Treasurer approvals.
- Assisted eight entities (a combination of general insurers, life insurers, intermediaries and InsurTech businesses) with obtaining claims handling authorisations under AFS licences.
- Advised several FinTech payments businesses (providing remittance products, payment platforms and/or prepaid card offerings) on Australian regulatory and licensing requirements, including to identify opportunities for minimising regulatory impact and applying for AFS licences.
- Advised multiple major general and life insurers, and other financial service providers, on their projects related to preparation for, and implementation of, reforms arising from the Financial Services Royal Commission, including unfair contract term reviews, design and distribution, anti-hawking and the deferred sales model.
- Acted for a large general insurer in the negotiation of a long-term distribution agreement with an InsurTech business and advised on associated distribution and product development matters.
- Advised a foreign bank on the application of Australian financial services law to its business (under the AFS, credit, banking and AML/CTF regimes), including available licensing exemptions.
- Advised a life insurer on the development and amendment of its group life insurance offerings.
- Assisted a major general insurer to conduct a review of its assessment and response to a large-scale compliance incident, including advising on proposed regulator engagement and remediation.
- Acted for three general insurers in relation to their response to ASIC's concerns about the sale of add-on insurance, including the development and implementation of the add-on insurance remediation programs.
- Advised a number of insurance brokers in respect of the sale, acquisition and transfer of insurance broker businesses and portfolios.
- Queensland University of Technology, Bachelor of Laws (Hons), 2015
- Queensland University of Technology, Bachelor of Business (Distinction), 2015