Claudio d'AgostinoOf Counsel
Claudio is a corporate commercial lawyer specializing in foreign direct investments, cross border M&A and commercial / franchise agreements in Asia and in particular in China. Claudio’s focus is in the consumer (for both products as well as services) and industrial sectors. As one of the first foreign lawyers in China he has led the way for a number of multinational players in the fashion, food, hospitality, industrial and chemical sectors, implementing innovative solutions in jurisdictions characterized by complex and ever-evolving legislation.
Based in Shanghai for over 20 years, 15 of which as a partner with DLA, Claudio has been instrumental in bringing to China a number of foreign multinationals in the commercial / retail and manufacturing space having provided assistance to greenfield investments and acquisitions for an overall amount in excess of 10 billion USD.
In 2021 Claudio moved to DLA in Italy where he is responsible of the “Asia Connect” project – the DLA unique and ground-breaking approach to make available a highly qualified direct connection between for our European based clients doing business in Asia and for Asian clients doing business in Europe.
Claudio is a foreign arbitrator with the Shanghai International Arbitration Commission (SHIAC) and a regular contributor to newspapers or professional publications on matters of international commerce.
Claudio has assisted many major fashion brands in their entry strategy and further development in China either as greenfield projects or through distribution / joint venture agreements with local partners.
Ensuring compliance with safety, quality and labelling standards as well competition and privacy laws for retailers of consumer goods constitute a key area of expertise.
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- Milan University, Law degree, 1995
- Beijing Language and Culture University, Chinese Language, 1997
- Author, "Global Legal Insights to: Corporate Tax 2019 "(China Chapter), August 2019
- Contributing author, "Getting the Deal Through - Franchise 2018 (China Chapter)", September 2017
- Contributing author, "Global Legal Insights to: Corporate Tax 2017 (China Chapter)", August 2017
- Contributing author, "Getting the Deal Through - Franchise 2017 (China Chapter)", September
- Contributing author, "Global Legal Insights to: Corporate Tax 2016 (China Chapter)", August 2016
Claudio has been a licensed foreign lawyer in China and Vietnam and an arbitrator for several commissions, currently the Shanghai International Arbitration Commission (SHIAC).
Memberships And Affiliations
- Claudio is admitted as a qualified foreign lawyer in the People's Republic of China
- Arbitrator of the Shanghai International Arbitration Commission (SHIAC)