David De Cubberhe/himCounsel
David De Cubber specialises in insurance and reinsurance, along with broader expertise in legal, regulatory, and contractual aspects relevant to the banking and insurance industries. He advises insurance and reinsurance companies, as well as insurance intermediaries and professionals, guiding them through the application processes for authorisation by the Luxembourg insurance supervisory authority. David also provides assistance on cross-border transactions, including reorganisations, establishment, and closure of branches and representative offices.
Possessing substantial experience, David excels in drafting and reviewing life and non-life insurance products, as well as agreements involving intermediaries and private clients.
Moreover, he advises financial institutions, insurance companies, and investment funds on diverse matters associated with environmental, social, and governance (ESG) considerations. David demonstrates a strong ability to ensure compliance with regulations, specifically the sustainability-related disclosures regulation (SFDR) within the financial services sector.
A regular speaker at various insurance conferences, David is also an author of multiple articles addressing insurance-related topics, contributing to the development of Luxembourg legal doctrine.
David's profound knowledge and extensive experience render him an invaluable asset for clients seeking guidance in his specialised areas.
- Advising a Luxembourg insurance company on the launch of an IT platform to serve their policyholders.
- Advising a Luxembourg insurance company in insurance regulatory matters in the EEA.
- Advising a Luxembourg insurance company in connection with their life-insurance contractual documentation.
- Advising a Luxembourg insurance company in relation to the reorganisation of its branches in the EEA.
- Advising a Luxembourg insurance company in the distribution of insurance products outside the EEA.
- Advising a Luxembourg insurance company on regulatory issues relating to the exchange of information within the group.
- Advising reinsurance companies in relation to their merger.
- Advising an insurance broker distributing and managing the assets of unit-linked life insurance policies.
- Luxembourg Bar School (cours complémentaires), 2019
- Université of Louvain-la-Neuve/Warwick University, Master’s degree in European Relations, 2002
- Université Louvain-la-Neuve, Master’s degree in law, 2001
Publications and media
David has written and co-authored publications on:
- The unit-linked life insurance contract made in Luxembourg, in “LIFE INSURANCE TAILORED IN LUXEMBOURG”, Legitech, 2023.
- SFDR - compliant remuneration policies: where do things stand?, in “Green Ethica”, Legitech, 2021.
- Life insurance: green light for Belgian "dedicated fund"? (“Assurance-vie: feu vert pour le “fonds dédié” belge ? ”, Le Fiscologue, 2016, n°1477).
- The new investment rules in Luxembourg for life insurance products linked to investment funds (“Les changements aux règles d'investissements pour les produits d'assurance-vie liés à des fonds d'investissement: des simplicités textuelles aux complexités pratiques?”, Bulletin Droit & Banque, n° 57, 2015).
- Le banquier dépositaire des avoirs mobiliers de contrats d'assurance-vie luxembourgeois, in “Le banquier luxembourgeois et l’assurance-vie”, Anthemis, 2011.
- 2023 to date, Counsel, DLA Piper, Luxembourg
- 2021-23, Counsel, International Law firm, Luxembourg
- 2019-21, Senior Associate, International Law firm, Luxembourg
- 2012-18, Head of legal, International Insurance Company
- 2006-12, Head of legal, Major International Private Bank
- 2002-06, Legal counsel, Major Luxembourg Bank
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member of the Association of the Insurance and Re-Insurance Companies in Luxembourg (ACA)
- Member of AIDA Luxembourg
- Member of the Association of Banking Lawyers (Association des Juristes de Droit Bancaire) (ALJB) in Luxembourg