José de PontePartner
José de Ponte is a projects and infrastructure lawyer with extensive experience advising on large, high profile infrastructure projects, including major Public Private Partnership (PPP) projects around the globe with a focus on the APAC region and Africa. He has advised on over 50 projects for governments, sponsors, contractors and financiers covering an array of sectors including, transport (toll roads, airports, railways and harbours), social infrastructure (hospitals, schools, prisons and social housing), mining, power (including renewables) and water treatment.
As an experienced front-end construction lawyer, José has drafted, negotiated and advised on broad range of construction contracts, including numerous bespoke, Australian Standard, FIDIC and NECC construction documents affording him unique insight into tailored solutions on major projects.
Prior to relocating to Australia, José was a partner of a leading South African law firm, working extensively in the mining, energy, infrastructure and finance sectors and advising on a broad range of litigious matters heard by South Africa's senior courts.
He is admitted to practice in both South Africa and New South Wales.
Australia and New Zealand
- Advising Transport for NSW on the Regional Rail DBFM Project to replace the entire New South Wales regional diesel rail fleet (comprising the Endeavour, XPLORER and XPT fleets).
- Advising the joint venture of Acciona and Ferrovial in relation to their bid on the Melbourne Metro PPP Project for the delivery of the main tunnelling works, five underground stations, station fit-out, mechanical and electrical systems and specific maintenance services.
- Advising a successful joint venture of Lend Lease Engineering and Bouygues (LLBJV) in their role as preferred contractor for the D&C of the NorthConnex motorway tunnel PPP project.
- Advising Essential Water in relation to the design, construction and operation of a $467 million pipeline supplying water from the Murray River to Broken Hill.
- Advising KDR on the Gold Coast Rapid Transit Operator Franchise PPP stages 1 and 2.
- Advising Hume Community Housing Association in relation to its successful bid for the transfer of over 2000 social housing tenancies under the NSW Government’s social housing management transfer program.
- Advising Hawkins Construction on their role as D&C contractor for the New Zealand Combined Schools 2 PPP Project.
Asia and the Pacific
- Advising the Asian Development Bank and the Government of Kazakhstan in relation to the development of a 300-bed general hospital on a PPP basis, in or around the campus of the Karaganda State Medical University located in Karaganda city, Kazakhstan.
- Advising the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) and the Civil Aviation Authority on the grant of concessions for the upgrade, operation and maintenance of 5 regional airports in the Philippines.
- Advising the Government of the Solomon Islands in relation to the establishment of their PPP Centre.
- Advising the Government of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste on the development of the concession agreement and tender documentation for the Tibar Bay Port PPP.
- Bachelor of Laws, University of the Witwatersrand, 1994
- Bachelor of Arts, University of the Witwatersrand, 1992
My latest insights
Delivering Thailand's Infrastructure Pipeline - The PPP push
22 August 2021 .7 minute read
Community and social housing boost features as budget priority
24 November 2020 .3 minute read