Francisco de Sousa Alves DiasSenior Associate
Francisco Alves Dias is an aviation and shipping lawyer. He provides support to airlines in several regulatory matters, having extensive experience in aircraft lease agreements and P.S.O. tenders.
He has been involved in supporting several stakeholders, from airlines to national aviation authorities through different jurisdictions as well as international development organizations.
Outside of the Portuguese jurisdiction, he has drafted several legislative packages at the invitation of governments and international organizations for purposes of compliance, namely the COSCAP program run by ICAO.
Francisco writes regularly on several newspapers about the aviation sector.
- Supporting an airline in obtaining permits for wet-leasing out to US carriers for periods above six months. This case involved establishing new reciprocity interpretation under the EU-US open skies agreement.
- Supporting an infant airline in being licensed with foreign EU registered aircraft only. This case allowed to demonstrate the possibilities under the aviation single market for operator’s choice of aircraft registration.
- Supporting institutional strengthening of developing countries for the implementation of ICAO SARPS, actively promoting the increase the safety and security level of aviation in fragile States.
- Law Faculty of Lisbon University, law degree, 2003
- Leiden University, Ll.M., 2007
- ISCTE University, Advanced Policy Studies, 2015
- Assisting States with implementation of the ICAO COSCAP program
- Assisting airlines in judicial cases against government entities on regulatory and tax matters specific from the aviation sector
- Assisting airlines in cross-border transactions and financial agreements
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Portuguese Bar Association
- Member of the Timorese Bar Association