Sander De VolderLawyer
Sander advises both domestic and multinational actors on the full spectrum of EU and Belgian competition law, including merger control, cartels, abuse of dominance and State aid. In this regard, he regularly assists and represents clients before the European Commission and the Belgian Competition Authority. In addition, he assists clients in foreign direct investment reviews.
Sander works across a wide variety of sectors and industries, and has gained experience notably in the telecommunications, transport and logistics, financial services, food and consumer goods sectors as well as basic industries.
- Advising companies on multi-jurisdictional and EU merger filings.
- Advising companies on behavioural matters, including cartel investigations.
- Advising on the State aid implications of certain government interventions, including the notification before the European Commission.
- Providing general antitrust advisory services related to compliance.
- University of Liège, LL.M. in EU Competition and IP Law, 2020
- Universiteit Gent, Master of Laws, 2019
- Université Côte d’Azur, Master of Laws, Erasmus+ exchange, 2018
Publications and media
- "The EU General Court clarifies the burden of proof that has to be met by the Commission to demonstrate the existence of an advantage in the context of tax rulings (Starbucks)” - Published in Concurrences’ December 2019 Bulletin
- Bertold Bär-Bouyssière, Keti Zukakishvili and Sander De Volder, “EU Competition Law and Policy in the Tourism Sector”, in C. TORRES et al., “Competition Law in Tourism”, pp. 25-90, available here.
- Prior to joining DLA Piper, Sander worked in the EU & Competition law department of a Brussels based international law firm.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member of the Brussels bar