Victoria DoigLegal Director
Victoria is a real estate lawyer with 15 years’ experience in a wide range of real estate work, but has particular expertise in real estate finance (acting for funders and investors) and development work with a particular interest in purpose built student accommodation (PBSA).
Victoria specialises in real estate finance matters and transactions which require large scale portfolio due diligence, acting on behalf of funders in relation to funding acquisitions and providing development finance for large portfolios , private lending institutions, private companies, landowners, developers, landlords and corporate tenants.
She is also an experienced development lawyer, advising developers, funders and private lending institutions on residential, regeneration, mixed use and commercial development schemes. In the last few years, Victoria has focused on PBSA development and has assisted on numerous high value, complex PBSA transactions comprising single assets and portfolios. Her development finance knowledge and experience enables Victoria to provide appropriate and commercial advice to clients having regard to the concerns of funders in relation to such schemes, and ensure that the relevant development documentation is institutionally acceptable.
- Leading banks and financial institutions including Barclays, RBS, HSBC, Lloyds, Aviva, Investec, M&G Investment Management Limited, and NatWest, on large scale portfolio due diligence and drafting, reviewing and reporting on COLLS Certificates of title and/COLLS wrapper reports, advising in relation to funding acquisitions and providing development finance of large portfolios, including specific commentary on title, planning and construction, rights of light issues, terms of valuations, and all other matters relevant to a lender taking security over property.
- On a GBP55m share acquisition of a company owning a large hotel in Manchester.
- On the GBP60m refinancing of 48 motorway lodge sites and a GBP83 million refinancing of a further 55 sites.
- On a GBP27m loan in respect of the acquisition of a London regeneration site including a shopping centre, residential apartments and offices;
- refinancing and sale and leaseback arrangements for 140 children's nurseries;
- refinancing and sale and leaseback arrangements for 10 residential outward bounds activity centres; and
- a syndicated GBP38m facility for Santander in respect of 19 large industrial estates.
- A UK platform formed by a US Private Equity investor in acquiring, developing, funding, operating, and then disposing of a portfolio of 15,000 PBSA beds over a six year period in excess of GBP1bn.
- Two US private equity funds on a Luxembourg joint venture, formed on the initial purchase of four PBSA assets from a UK developer and the appointment of that developer to deliver the schemes under development funding agreements. We also acted for the joint venture in securing development finance from a US lender for each of the developments.
- A leading global developer of PBSA and a US investor by acquiring (in two tranches) a complex site in Exeter (involving the delivery of a new grandstand and facilities for the adjoining football club) for a joint venture between the two. The scheme is to be developed into a 300 bed scheme with development finance provided by an international bank. We advised the borrower on the development finance facility.
- A US Private Equity house in the acquisition of five operational UK PBSA assets held in a Guernsey Property Unit Trust, in a joint venture with a leading global developer of PBSA.
- University: University of London, Queen Mary & Westfield College - 1999 - 2000; Degree - LLM Banking and Finance Law
- University: Lancaster University - 1996 - 1999; Degree - Law LLB