Heather Angelina DunnPartner
Heather Dunn concentrates her practice on trademark and brand protection, intellectual property portfolios, licensing, and enforcement, international promotions, advertising, sweepstakes, contests, influencer marketing, charitable promotions, rewards programs, digital media, and art law.
Heather counsels clients concerning selection and registrability of trademarks, domestically and abroad; prosecutes trademark applications; counsels and negotiates on trademark and copyright infringement matters, domain name disputes, and trade dress matters; represents clients in Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceedings; and manages large-scale global trademark protection and enforcement programs. She leads intellectual property diligence and negotiations in mergers and acquisitions, and represents clients in brand license, media, and promotions deals. Heather also regularly counsels clients regarding compliance issues for advertising campaigns, sweepstakes and contests, charitable co-ventures, influencer marketing, social media promotions, and regarding unfair or deceptive practices in a variety of industries.
- J.D., University of San Francisco
- B.F.A., Rhode Island School of Design
- Commended in the WTR 1000: The World's Leading Trademark Professionals 2018
- The Legal 500 United States
2017 - Recommended, Technology: Transactions
The Legal 500 comments, "Heather Dunn, who divides her time between San Francisco and Silicon Valley, is 'a thoughtful, patient adviser who considers clients’ future strategies'"
2012-13, 2015 - Recommended, Trademarks: Non-Contentious (Full Coverage)
The Legal 500 comments, "The 'responsive' Heather Dunn in San Francisco is also recommended, especially for internet matters."
- Presenter, "Hot topics in advertising and marketing law" CLE program for DLA Piper clients, Orlando, FL, 22 May 2016
- Faculty, "IP Issues in the Food and Beverage Industries," Non-traditional Marks in the Food and Beverage Industry, a program of The Seminar Group, October 16, 2014
- Panelist, "Non-traditional Trademarks and Trade Dress in the Pharmaceutical and Biotech Fields," Trademark Aspects of Pharmaceutical and Biotech 2010, a Practicing Law Institute program, March 5, 2010
- Assistant to J.T. McCarthy (author of treatises McCarthy on Trademarks and Unfair Competition and Rights of Publicity and Privacy)
- San Francisco City Attorney’s Office, Law Clerk to City Departments of Art and Culture, including Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, Asian Art Museum, San Francisco Arts Commission; and San Francisco Film Commission
Civic and Charitable
- International Trademark Association, Unfair Competition Committee Member, Policy Subcommittee Chair
- Association of National Advertisers/Brand Activation Association, Government and Legal Affairs Committee Member
- California Lawyers for the Arts, Pro Bono Panel Member
Memberships And Affiliations
- California Bar Association
- San Francisco Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- International Trademark Association, Emerging Issues Committee
- Association of National Advertisers /Brand Activation Association