Edwin Figueroa AlvarezOf Counsel
For over 10 years Mr. Figueroa has provided tax advice to a broad client base that ranges from local to multinational corporations, including Fortune 500 companies, and emerging businesses in many industries, including digital products or mediums, transportation and logistics, technology, e-commerce, energy and renewable energy, retail, hospitality, healthcare, manufacture, and pharmaceutical companies. He has also designed tax strategies for reorganizations, M&A, financing and real estate transactions, and advising start-ups and businesses seeking to establish operations in Puerto Rico.
- Mr. Figueroa has developed solid sales and use tax experience, is knowledgeable in Puerto Rico’s integrated tax compliance platform known as SURI and he participated in the drafting of Act 83-2010, also known as the Green Energy Tax Incentives Act, which established tax incentives that would significantly advance the development of the renewable energy industry in Puerto Rico.
- He also assists clients in obtaining tax incentives grants, including businesses engaged in export services under the Incentives Code (formerly Act 20--2012) and individuals relocating to Puerto Rico to take advantage of available tax incentives, also under the Incentives Code (formerly Act 22-2012). In this context, he has successfully obtained tax rulings with government agencies and certificates for certain special tax treatments, as well as advocating and obtaining 501(c)(3) exempt status for many non-profit organizations.
- As an experienced tax litigator, Mr. Figueroa has represented many clients in federal and state controversies related to income, municipal license, sales and use, property and construction excise tax deficiency and refund procedures. His litigation experience includes all administrative and judicial aspects, such as tax audits, assessments and examinations through administrative appeals and court proceedings and successful negotiations and settlement of tax disputes with all Puerto Rico taxing authorities.
- Mr. Figueroa is an adjunct professor at Inter-American University Law School teaching tax law in the J.D. program and has served as lecturer at seminars from the Puerto Rico Society of Certified Public Accountants.
- He is admitted to practice in Puerto Rico and to the United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico and is a member of the Puerto Rico Society of Certified Public Accountants.
- Recognized in The best Lawyers in Puerto Rico for Tax Law (2020-2023)