Monika Gehlen specializes in written advocacy, appellate practice, legal opinions and strategic advice.
A member of the firm’s legal research and litigation groups, Monika has extensive experience in the research and analysis of complex legal issues.
- Obtained a $670 million judgment for the Bank of China in a multi-jurisdictional fraud and money laundering claim.
- On appeal to the Federal Court of Appeal, vindicated the right of a shipper to an interswitching order for the shipping of its grain by rail across the Canada-U.S. border.
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1983
- Undergraduate studies in Honours History, University of British Columbia, 1978-79
- Diplôme III, Université d'Aix-Marseille III (Institut d'études françaises pour étudiants étrangers), 1978
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Corporate & Commercial Litigation), 2016-2023
- Occasional lecturer for Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia
- Occasional speaker at various legal conferences
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Research Lawyers' Association of British Columbia (Treasurer, 1995-96)
My latest insights
DLA Piper (Canada) LLP recognized in the 2022 Best Lawyers in Canada guide
25 August 2021 .66 minute read