Partner in North West Litigation and Regulatory Team. Criminal litigator and experienced specialist regulatory lawyer representing companies in a broad range of investigations and prosecutions by HSE, EA, CPS/Police, Serious Fraud Office, and HMRC.
Currently engaged on a number of internal investigations into senior management misconduct and whistleblower allegations.
John is a contentious regulatory lawyer specialising in the investigation and prosecution of range of offences including health and safety, environmental, data breach, export controls fraud, bribery and corruption, criminal anti-competitive behaviour and dawn raids. A member of the Open Water market architecture team.
Particular interests in powers of the regulators, corporate criminal liability, internal investigations and strategic advice on crisis management. Member of the Lexis Nexis PSL Corporate Crime Consulting Editorial Board.
- SMG Europe Limited
- Information Commissioner
- Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Cushman and Wakefield
- P Limited global tobacco company
- Vita Holdings Limited
- Facebook v ICO- John leads the team representing the ICO before the Information Tribunal appeal against Monetary Penalty Notice.
- Manchester Bombing- John represents the Arena at the inquest into the death of 22 people following a terrorist attack.
- Supporting US Aerospace group with their continuous International ABC Compliance Review Programme.
- Operation Modulation - John leads the internal investigation into allegations of large scale theft by former senior executives, working with the Police, CPS and Insurers.
- Operation Tardy - successful challenge by way of Judicial Review to illegal warrants of entry, search and seizure by South Yorkshire Police and the Department of Business Innovation and Skills.
- Project Phoenix - internal investigation into historic bribery and corruption and tax evasion across Africa, Middle East and Russia.
- R v Lion Steel & others - successful defence of Managing Director charged with Gross Negligence Manslaughter in the second corporate manslaughter prosecution in the UK.
- Worthington Nicholls - acting on behalf of former Chairman of company following AIM listing (SFO Investigation).
- R v Balfour Beatty & others - acting on behalf of the company director in respect of a bribery investigation by the Serious Fraud Office.
- R v Fraser & others - acting on behalf of Finance Director of Nylacast Limited in alleged conspiracy to defraud financial institutions of £100m.
- Legal Practice Course, 1993-1994
- Common Professional Examination, 1992-1993
- University of Sheffield, B.A. (Hons) Politics, 1989-1991
John has featured in a number of Directories but is particularly proud of the following interviewee comment:
“He is excellent, first-class. He is excellent at client care and inspires a lot of trust”.
- 2016 to date, Partner, DLA Piper UK LLP
- 2011 - 2016, Legal Director DLA Piper UK LLP
- 2005 - 2011, Partner at Regional law firm
- 2000 - 2005, Associate at DLA Piper UK LLP
- 1998 - 2000, Solicitor, Business Crime Team, National law firm
- 1996 - 1998, Solicitor niche White Collar practice
- 1994 - 1996, Trainee Solicitor
Memberships And Affiliations
- Commissioning Editorial Board (White Collar Crime) Lexis Nexis