Maria Beatriz GomesAssociate
Maria Beatriz Gomes is an associate in the Energy and Natural Resources practice of Campos Mello Advogados in cooperation with DLA Piper based in Rio de Janeiro.
Maria Beatriz is focused in the renewable energy sector and has large experience structuring projects of onshore wind farms, solar power plants and, more recently, a pioneer carbon, capture, and storage project in Brazil.
Her work includes advice on regulatory, contractual, and commercial matters, having already participated in national and international mergers and acquisitions and energy infrastructure development projects, public and private bids, Petrobras divestment projects, and administrative proceedings within governmental authorities of the energy sector.
Maria Beatriz also has experience with a variety of offshore projects, having assisted several services providers and suppliers of the offshore and ports industry, including but not limited to projects involving floating production storage and offloading units (FPSO) and underwater construction support vessels.
DLA Piper and Campos Mello Advogados (CMA) are separate and independent law firms, which work in cooperation with one another. Partners of DLA Piper are not partners of CMA; and CMA partners are not partners of DLA Piper.
- Assisting EN.IT in the structuring and development of an onshore wind project of 24 wind farms, which can fluctuate between 21 to 29.4 MW each, in the State of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. The total estimated power is 630 MW, provided by 150 Wind Turbine Generators.
- Assisting a Brazilian renewable energy company, in structuring the first project for a carbon capture and storage project in Brazil and largest in Latin America.
- Assisting Cobra in a potential acquisition of a Brazilian legal entity held by Solatio Energy, Solatio Desenvolvimento and Luiz Priori, which owns a portfolio of 10 greenfield photovoltaic plant projects with a capacity of 550MW under development.
- Assisting in a due diligence process by Vinci Partners in the legal assessment of certain electricity distribution companies owned by the Brazilian public company Centrais Elétricas Brasileiras S.A. - Eletrobras, sold through public auction.
- Assisting in the sale of a Brazilian energy efficiency company to a subsidiary of a French multinational in Brazil.
- Participated in extensive due diligence processes in the legal assessment of refineries owned by Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. – Petrobras, in the context of acquisition of private investors.
- Participated in the sale of Chevron Upstream Frade Ltda. to PetroRio.
- Participated in an extensive due diligence process in the legal assessment of companies involved in the infrastructure of telecommunication towers in Brazil.
- Participated in due diligence processes of Brazilian companies, in the context of Initial Public Offerings (“IPO”), also assisting in the preparation and review of documents requested by the Brazilian Securities and Exchange Commission - CVM.
- Advising different national and international service providers in the analysis and preparation of service contracts and charters contracts for Petrobras, including assistance in contractual and administrative disputes.
- Advising different national and international service providers in participating in bidding procedures carried out by Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. – Petrobras.
- Advised international companies with intercompany loans, capital increase and registration of financial operations in the Central Bank of Brazil system (SISBACEN / RDE-IED).
- Assisting several foreign companies in the formation of subsidiaries in Brazil, including obtaining regulatory authorizations and licenses.
Finance for Lawyers Program, Institute of Postgraduate Studies of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (COPPEAD/UFRJ), 2021
J.D., Fundação Getulio Vargas Law School, 2019
Publications and media
- Energy InSight Newsletter – Volume II – 2nd Quarter 2022
- Energy InSight Newsletter – Volume I – 1st Quarter 2022
- Co-author with Marcelo Frazão, "Regulatory Perspectives for Hydrogen in Brazil," Marcelo Frazão, Nordic Light Magazine, published by Norwegian Brazilian Chamber of Commerce – NBCC and Swedish-Brazilian Chamber of Commerce – Swedcham, July 2022
- Co-author with Marcelo Frazão, "A new horizon for K4K provisions in Brazil," Nordic Light Magazine, published by Norwegian Brazilian Chamber of Commerce – NBCC and Swedish-Brazilian Chamber of Commerce – Swedcham, July 2021
- Co-author with Norman Nadorff, "Look before you leap: are your oil patch liability clauses enforceable?: (An analysis under civil law jurisdictions with emphasis on Brazil)," Journal of World Energy Law and Business, published by Oxford University Press on behalf of AIPN, February 2021
Prior to joining Campos Mello Advogados in cooperation with DLA Piper in 2021, Maria Beatriz previously worked in the corporate law practices of a full service international law firm and a boutique law firm specialized in M&A transactions.
Civic and Charitable
Maria Beatriz was selected to participate in an international youth leadership event organized by the non-profit organization UNITE 2030. The event will occur in New York in September 2022 as an innovation lab for youth leaders to develop solutions related to the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030. Maria Beatriz is focused on Climate Change.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member of the Women in Green Hydrogen Association
- Member of the Association of International Energy Negotiators