Rio Gonzalez focuses his practice on counseling multinational employers on the full spectrum of issues related to managing a global workforce. Rio provides compliance solutions to employers through all stages of the employment relationship, from initial hiring and onboarding to day-to-day workforce management, including review of multi-jurisdiction workforce policies, to global reductions in force. Additionally, Rio assists international companies on labor and employment matters concerning cross-border mergers and acquisitions. This includes assistance with initial due diligence through post-acquisition employee integration and restructuring.
Rio also defends employers in a wide range of domestic labor and employment disputes before state and federal courts as well as before administrative agencies. Specifically, Rio has defended employers to conclusion in claims arising under Title VII, the Florida Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, and the Occupational Safety and Health Act. Rio also has significant experience litigating misappropriation of trade secret claims and breaches of restrictive covenants, including non-competition and non-solicitation agreements.
Passionate about diversity and inclusion initiatives as well as supporting the professional development of students of color, Rio regularly serves as a mentor for students through various diversity-focused organizations as well as provides workforce trainings on workplace harassment, discrimination, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- J.D., Boston University School of Law 2017
- B.A., Marist College 2014
- Lavender Law Conference, “Bored Yet? Everything You Want to Know About Serving on a Non-Profit Board,” 25 July 2023
- South Florida Manufacturers Association, "Best Workplace Practices for COVID-19 & the Delta Variant: Vaccines, Masks, and Beyond," 20 August 2021
- National Business Institute, "Introduction to Employee Handbooks," 22 July 2021
- South Florida Manufacturers Association, "COVID-19 Legal Landscape and Reopening Guidelines," 17 September 2020
- South Florida Manufacturers Association, "Employer Considerations During the COVID-19 Pandemic," 27 March 2020
Memberships And Affiliations
- LatinoJustice Líderes Young Professionals Board, Executive Committee
- Boston University School of Law Young Alumni Council, Co-President and Giving Chair
- Hispanic National Bar Association