Péter Györfi-Tóth advises clients in major local and cross-border transactions in the fields of infrastructure development, banking law, projects and finance, state regulatory legal issues, financial law, real estate development, insolvency and bankruptcy, restructuring, litigation and arbitration.
Péter advises clients mainly in large scale infrastructure projects, including solar and nuclear power plant and design and construction and other projects related to energy production and transmission. He is also involved in both Hungarian and international projects, construction and real estate development matters, EPC and D&B contracts, FIDIC matters, PPPs, projekt restructuring, as well as a diverse portfolio of financial transactions, including state aid and EU funding.
He has comprehensive knowledge in Hungarian and EU law, including general civil law, construction law, FIDIC conditions of contract, real estate law as well as construction dispute resolution and construction litigation. He has a significant experience of public procurement law, particularly in advising contracting authorities and tenderers on various types of public procurement procedures, contract awards as well as contract performance and amendments.
He is a recommended arbitrator in the Hungarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s Permanent Court of Arbitration for financial, capital market, and energetics issues. He is also a member of the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC) Panel of Arbitrators.
- Eötvös Loránd University, Faculty of Law, Budapest, JD, Hungary, 1989-94, summa cum laude
- Karl-Ruprecht Universität, Faculty of Law, LLM, on mortgages and securities, Heidelberg, Germany, 1994-96
- “Péter Györfi-Tóth has an extensive and varied background in infrastructure development, financing and restructuring.” - Legal500, 2021
- “Péter Györfi-Tóth has tremendous structuring and negotiating skills. Furthermore, his network in the energy industry could be great asset for anyone” - Legal500, 2020
- "He can communicate excellently and if he promises something it's set in stone." - Chambers Europe, 2019
- Co-author of Social and Civic Knowledge for High-school students (Társadalmi és állampolgári ismeretek középiskolásoknak).
Ranking and Awards
- Legal 500, 2019 - 2023, Projects and Energy, (Individual Rankings): Leading Individual
- IFLR1000, 2022, Banking and Finance, Energy and infrastructure, (Individual Rankings): Expert consultant
- IFLR1000, 2017 - 2021, Banking and Finance, Energy and infrastructure, (Individual Rankings): Highly Regarded
- Chambers Europe, 2019 - 2020, Project Finance, (Individual Rankings): Spotlight Table