Mona HammadiLegal Director
Mona Hammadi advises on the development and project financing of major infrastructure projects throughout the MENA region and has specialist in-depth understanding of the Saudi Arabian energy and utilities sectors.
Mona has advised many of the region’s leading utility companies on the procurement, development and project financing of projects in the Middle East, many of which were first of their kind. A Bahraini national, she is fluent in Arabic and English. She has the ability to capture and understand complex nuances in both languages which is a unique feature of her practice.
Mona has substantial infrastructure procurement experience, both in the utilities and broader infrastructure sectors. This is particularly the case in Saudi Arabia where she has advised on practically all of the utility procurement processes since 2010.
Mona’s experience in private sector mandates includes both sponsors and lenders. She is equally adept at negotiating concession agreements and finance documents depending on the needs of her clients.
Mona is recognised as a rising star by both the IFLR1000 and Legal 500.
- Advising the Saudi Arabian Ministry of Energy, Industry and Mineral Resources on the first 3 rounds of the Kingdom’s National Renewable Energy Programme, including the 300MW Sakaka solar IPP project and the Dumat Al Jandal 400MW Wind project, each procured on a project financed (IPP) basis. The Sakaka solar IPP project was awarded MENA PPP project of the year by the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply, MENA PV Deal of the Year 2018 by IJ Global and Middle East Power Deal of the Year 2018 by Project Finance. The Dumat Al Jandal IPP project was awarded power deal of the year by PFI and wind deal of the year by IJ Global.
- Advising government procurer on the restructuring of an oil fired power and desalination concession by way of removal of power generation capacity, introduction of new-build desalination capacity and remediation of existing power generation facilities.
- Advising Saudi Water Partnership Company on its IWP program including the 600,000 m3/day Rabigh 3 IWP, the 450,000 m3/day Shuqaiq 3 IWP , the 450,000 m3/day Yanbu 4 IWP and the 600,000m3/day Jubail 3A IWP.
- Advising the Lenders to the successful consortium for the Red Sea Utilities Concession with the Red Sea Development Company in Saudi Arabia.
- Advising the Bahrain Ministry of Transport & Telecommunications on the procurement of the Bahrain Metro project on a PPP basis.
- Advising Saudi Electricity Company on local and international law aspects of its joint venture with Saudi Aramco for the procurement of the 1,500MW Fadhili combined heat and power IPP project. The Fadhili combined heat and power IPP project was awarded MENA power deal of the year 2017 by IJ Global.
- Advising lenders in relation to the Saudi Aramco procured Haradh and Wadayhi residential compounds and industrial facilities PPP project in Saudi Arabia.
- Advising lenders on the Al Dhafra IPP in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School, London
- LLM International Commercial Law at University of Kent, United Kingdom
- LLB with honours at University of Kent, United Kingdom
- Rising Star in Saudi Arabia - IFLR, 2020
- Rising Star in UAE – Legal 500, 2020
- "IWPPs in the GCC", International Bar Association Power Law Committee Newsletter, Summer 2018
- Middle East Chapter, Solar Power - A Practical Handbook, April 2018