Jorian HamsterHe/himSenior Associate
Jorian Hamster is an international disputes lawyer with a strong focus on emerging markets and ESG disputes in the energy and natural resources sector.
With a background in International and European law and many years of experience in corporate disputes, Jorian is uniquely positioned to help businesses navigate human rights, biodiversity and climate change risks in operations across the developing world. He considered a leading figure on human rights & environmental due diligence. Jorian has spent a year on a secondment within the global litigation team of a large oil major, gaining invaluable experience through working on high profile energy arbitrations and human rights, environmental and climate change litigations.
Jorian also assists client in the energy and natural resources sector in commercial and investment arbitrations. His experience as intern with the ICC International Court of Arbitration and as a member of the Investment Arbitration Committee of the Dutch Arbitration Association is greatly appreciated by clients. He joined DLA Piper from a renowned international arbitration practice.
Jorian regularly speaks and publishes on business & human rights and ESG in a litigation and corporate governance context. He is an experienced corporate litigator and is able to deal with disputes in Francophone and Spanish jurisdictions through his knowledge of French and Spanish. He studied at the University of Amsterdam and the Sorbonne, and has followed executive education on ESG & sustainable capitalism at the University of California, Berkeley. Apart from his legal background, Jorian has a master degree in Middle Eastern Studies.
- Defends a large multinational in a business & human rights dispute relating to dismissal of workers in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Assists an oil major and a national oil company in a USD 150mln+ arbitration against the government of a Middle Eastern state in a Paris-seated ICC arbitration.
- Advises multiple clients in respect of emission reduction plans in the context of strategic litigation by NGOs.
- Advised a large telecom company on a business & human rights dispute relating to worker rights in Bangladesh.
- Advises an oil major in a London-seated ICC arbitration under NY law relating to LNG shipments from an African state.
- Assisted a Turkish construction company in an investment arbitration relating to investments in Turkmenistan.
- Leads multi-party and multi-jurisdictional proceedings in a shareholder dispute relating to a midstream energy project in Mexico.
- University of California, Berkeley, certificate in sustainable capitalism and ESG (2021)
- University of Amsterdam, LLM in International and European Law (cum laude), 2014
University of Amsterdam, LLM in administrative and constitutional law, 2014
University of Amsterdam, MA in Middle Eastern Studies, 2014
Université Paris-1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, droit international et droit de commerce, 2012
- Article: ‘Het internationaal klimaatrecht in de belangstelling – een inleiding’ in: Tijdschrift voor de Ondernemingsrechtpraktijk 2021/342
- Article: ‘Maatschappelijk verantwoord ondernemen en het enquêterecht – a perfect match’ in: Geschriften vanwege de Vereniging Corporate Litigation 2020-2021 (Serie Van der Heijden Instituut nr. 172).
- Article: ‘De verwachte richtlijn duurzame corporate governance: verantwoord ondernemen moet hoog op de bestuursagenda’ in: Maandblad voor Ondernemingsrecht 2021/7.10
- Article: ‘Handvatten voor een succesvolle NCP-specific instance procedure’ in: Tijdschrift voor de Ondernemingsrechtpraktijk 2020/342
- Article: ‘Verantwoord ondernemen: van soft law naar harde verplichtingen via strategisch procederen ‘ in: Tijdschrift voor de Ondernemingsrechtpraktijk 2019/451
- Book chapter: ‘Customary International Law in Domestic Courts’ in: A. Nollkaemper & A. Reinisch (Oxford University Press 2018), International Law in Domestic Courts
Before joining DLA Piper, Jorian worked at an international law firm in the international arbitration practice.