Rebecca has more than 20 years’ experience advising insurers and reinsurers on policy coverage and helping them to resolve large, complex, cross-border and global insurance and facultative / treaty reinsurance disputes.
She handles major property, energy, construction, oil and gas, petrochemical, power generation, renewable, mining, utilities, infrastructure, supply chain and political risk insurance and reinsurance claims in the UK and around the world including in emerging markets. She has handled and resolved disputes in Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa, the Middle East, Far East, Australia and Pacific Islands.
Rebecca has been involved in major catastrophes including flood and earthquake losses. She has handled numerous treaty reinsurance disputes and negotiated substantial multi-party settlement deals.
She has extensive experience coordinating multi-jurisdictional disputes and resolving them without recourse to litigation, alternatively resolving them as expeditiously as possible via litigation, arbitration or mediation.
She has advised major insurers on Covid-19 non damage BI claims around the world, and also recently advised major reinsurers on a large complex energy loss impacted by the recent energy price crisis.
Rebecca regularly speaks on hot topics in the legal insurance space, and her skills as an eminent insurance and reinsurance lawyer have been widely recognized and are reflected in her “Leading Individual” ranking for Insurance and Reinsurance Litigation in Legal 500, 2022.
- Won several arbitrations for her clients when the PA LMX spiral unravelled which led to the successful recovery of unpaid claims totalling in excess of USD800m.
- Led reinsurers’ successful defence in the Bangkok Court of a claim for USD 150 million for a catalyst failure at a petrochemical plant in Thailand.
- Won a jurisdictional dispute for reinsurers when a Mexican insured sued them in Phoenix Arizona in breach of the express Mexican law and jurisdiction clause. Awarded costs by the US court which is highly unusual.
- Advised major insurers and reinsurers on numerous major Covid non damage BI claims around the world enabling them to navigate the complexities of the new legal landscape which sprung up in response to the pandemic.
- Advised reinsurers on complex PD and BI coverage issues following the failure of a transformer at a power plant and helping them to negotiate a resolution of the multi-million dollar loss impacted by the energy price crisis in late 2021.
- Advised reinsurers on several complex treaty reinsurance disputes arising out of the Covid-19 pandemic in South Africa and helping them to negotiate a settlement.
- Won an arbitration for insurers when they were found liable by the Egyptian courts for the loss of a self-jack up barge but were unable to recover from their reinsurers due to alleged breaches of the control clause. Successfully challenged those allegations and negotiated a full recovery for the clients.
- Cambridge University, Law MA, 1990
- Cambridge University, Law BA (Hons), 1988
- Rebecca was listed as 'International property loss expert' in The Legal 500 UK, 2017 edition, and 'Recommended' in The Legal 500 UK, 2016 edition
- Recognised as a leading lawyer in Euromoney's 2014-18 Experts Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law (Insurance and Reinsurance)
- Recognised as a leading lawyer in Euromoney's 2014-17 Experts Guide to the World's Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers
- London based global law firm, Senior Partner, Property and Energy Group, 2014-2018
- London based global law firm, Partner, 1999 to 2014
- London based global law firm, Assistant Lawyer, 1992 to 1999
Memberships And Affiliations
My latest insights
DLA Piper's Practical Guide for Claims Managers in 2022 – Part 9
28 September 2022 .22 minute read
DLA Piper's Practical Guide for Claims Managers in 2022 – Part 7
27 July 2022 .19 minute read