Dr. Cathy Huang represents clients in patent litigation in both United States district courts and the ITC. Her clients include multinational life sciences corporations, including in the medical devices space, as well as global consumer electronics providers. Cathy has also externed for the Honorable Michael M. Anello in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California.
Prior to law, Cathy received her Ph.D. in Molecular and Cellular biology from Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas, where she studied the signaling effects of cancer pharmaceuticals using novel 3D platforms and biotechnologies. Before joining DLA Piper, Cathy worked in the Intellectual Property department at Life Technologies (now Thermo Fisher Scientific). She has also served as an expert witness in a criminal matter, and she has industry experience bringing emerging biomedical technologies to market.
- J.D., University of San Diego 2014
Order of Barristers
- Ph.D., Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine 2010
- B.A., Biological Sciences, University of Texas at Austin 2003
- CALI Award, IP Seminar: “Gene Patents: Why Patent Eligibility Was Always a Legal Fiction”
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure research grant
- Abbott Pharmaceuticals Scholarship
- Summer Medical Research and Training Program at Baylor College of Medicine
- Huang C, Park CC, Hilsenbeck SG, Ward R, Rimawi MF, Wang YC, Shou J, Bissell MJ, Osborne CK, Schiff R. 1 Integrin Mediates an Alternative Survival Pathway in Breast Cancer Cells Resistant to Lapatinib. Breast Cancer Res. 2011 Aug. 31; 13(4): R(84).
- Rimawi MF, Wiechmann LS, Wang YC, Huang C, Migliaccio I, Wu MF, Gutierrez C, Hilsenbeck SG, Arpino G, Massarweh S, Ward R, Soliz R, Osborne CK, Schiff R. Reduced dose and intermittent treatment with lapatinib and trastuzumab for potent blockade of the HER pathway in HER2/neu-overexpressing breast tumor xenografts. Clin Cancer Res. 2011 Mar 15; 17(6): 1351-61.
- Chen AC, Migliaccio I, Rimawi M, Lopez-Tarruella S, Creighton CJ, Massarweh S, Huang C, Wang YC, Batra SK, Gutierrez MC, Osborne CK, Schiff R. Upregulation of mucin4 in ER-positive/HER2-overexpressing breast cancer xenografts with acquired resistance to endocrine and HER2-targeted therapies. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012 Jul; 134(2): 583-93.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, DLA Piper Associate Advisory Council