Brian Hunt Ph.D.Legal Director
Brian Hunt advises clients on financial regulation, with a particular focus on the insurance sector.
Brian advises on regulatory strategy and engagement. He has unrivalled experience in advising on Central Bank inspections.
His practice focuses on all aspects of insurance law and regulation including the establishment and authorisation of new insurers, compliance with Central Bank of Ireland requirements, insurance distribution matters, portfolio transfers, the acquisition and disposal of insurers and brokers, policy governance, as well as on Central Bank inspections, investigations and enforcement actions.
Brian heads up DLA Piper's insurance regulatory practice in Ireland.
- Advising leading Swiss insurer on all aspects of the establishment and authorisation of a new pan-European insurance undertaking in Ireland.*
- Advising on the acquisition and disposal of a number of insurance brokerages.*
- Advising a number of insurers on the implementation of the Consumer Insurance Contracts Act.*
- Advising on Central Bank inspections and the implementation of remediation actions.*
- Advising the shareholders of a regulated entity which is the subject of a Central Bank investigation.*
- Advising on complex fitness and probity matters.*
- Advising on the regulatory aspects of the acquisition of a MiFID firm having in excess of €30 billion in assets under administration.*
- Advising on the self-reporting of regulatory breaches to the Central Bank of Ireland. *
- Advising on the legislative process and the drafting of legislative amendments. *
*all of the above experience is from a previous firm.
- Trinity College Dublin, P.hD., 2006
- Honourable Society of the Kings Inns, B.L., 2003
- University College Dublin, Dip.Int.Arb., 1999
Trinity College Dublin, M.Litt., 1998
- "Brian Hunt led much of the work and is both deeply knowledgeable and articulate.” The Legal 500
- Murdoch and Hunt’s Encyclopaedia of Irish Law (Bloomsbury)
- Role of the Houses of the Oireachtas in the Scrutiny of Legislation (Houses of the Oireachtas)
- The Irish Statute Book: A Guide to Irish Legislation (Bloomsbury)
- “Watching the watchdog: What the fines and enforcements data tells you about the Central Bank of Ireland’s focus”, The Currency (3 Nov 2020)
- 2019 – 2022, Partner and Head of Financial Services Regulatory at leading Irish law firm
- 2009 – 2019, Head of Regulatory Affairs at Zurich Insurance plc
- 2005 – 2009, Head of Public Affairs at leading Irish law firm
- Solicitor regulated by the Law Society of Ireland
- Formerly a Barrister
- Inaugural Parliamentary Fellow at the Houses of the Oireachtas
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of Ireland