Matthew HunterSenior Associate
Matthew Hunter has a broad insurance practice, advising on a range of regulatory insurance matters, the insurance aspects of commercial transactions, and policy coverage and wordings, as well as acting for insurers and intermediaries on broader strategic issues.
Matthew has spent time in the market on secondment to both a managing general agent and a global insurer operating in both the Lloyd’s and company markets. He is currently Chair of the British Insurance Law Association’s Young Professionals Committee.
- Secondment to the EMEA legal team of a global insurer (active in both the Lloyd’s and company markets), advising on a range of commercial, regulatory and underwriting issues.
- Advising a London-market insurer on the Lloyd’s enforcement process and other regulatory considerations relating to misconduct of a high-profile employee.
- Advising insurers and intermediaries on post-Brexit transitions and future operating models, including the use of temporary permissions and run-off regimes as well as longer term solutions.
- Advising insurers and intermediaries on commercial arrangements, including the negotiation of distribution and claims handling agreements.
- Advising insurance groups seeking to do business in the UK on compliant operating models and regulatory guidelines.
- Advising on coverholder disputes generally as well risk mitigation planning in the context of concerns as to the ongoing suitability or financial viability of a coverholder.
- Advising two global financial institutions on the use of insurance to remove risks from their balance sheets, including in relation to historic tax liabilities and the risks of counterparty default under a range of financial instruments (including drafting and negotiating the insurance policies).
- University of Exeter, LLB (Hons)
- BPP University, LPC
- BPP University, MBA (Legal Services)
- 2016 - 2022 : trained, qualified and promoted to Supervising Associate in the insurance team at a London headquartered international law firm.
- British Insurance Law Association (Chair, Young Professionals Committee)