Richard JohnsonSenior Associate
Richard Johnson advises across a broad range of taxation matters, relevant to the domestic and international transactions and activities of a varied client base.
Richard has experience in public and private merger and acquisitions, providing advice on pre-transaction structuring, drafting and negotiation of transaction documents and post-completion integration and separation matters. A recent focus has been assisting clients in the clean energy sector, in particular advising on the tax aspects of high value and strategic disposals and acquisitions.
- Acting for Greencoat Capital LLP on the acquisition of the South Kyle wind farm in Scotland, for GBP320 million. Advising on the transaction documentation generally, as well as providing input on property specific taxation matters associated with a project of this nature, including capital allowances, SDLT and VAT.
- Advising Platina Energy Partners on the disposal of the largest wind farm in Cyprus, a challenging transaction which involved working with colleagues and partners across a number of jurisdictions.
- Acting for Ocean Outdoor on the acquisition of AdCityMedia. Advising on the transaction documentation for a high-value cross boarder transaction.
- Advising DGS Retail Group and Lululemon on a wide variety of estate management issues, including tenant and landlord VAT issues and SDLT.
- Acting for Highways England on a large, national infrastructure project. Advising on VAT aspects, in particular the new UK domestic reverse charge rules.
- Acting for Firth Rixson Limited on the disposal of Firth Rixson Forgings Limited. Advising on the transaction documentation, as well as providing specific advice on complex group separation issues, both pre and post transaction.
- Acting for Robert Half Limited and Leeds Building Society, on the changes to the private sector off-payroll working rules. Advising on impacts on current supply chains, compliance and status determination.
- College of Law LL.B.
- University of Newcastle B.A. Hons.
- Richard is a regular contributor to tax and legal publications, including Tax Journal and LexisNexis.
- Richard is an active member of the DLA Piper pro bono network, providing advice to a wide variety of charitable organisations and, where he can, enjoys spending any free time on the golf course.