Alexander Kolmakov is an experienced corporate and corporate finance law practitioner and has over 15 years’ experience of working on multi-jurisdictional matters.He advises clients on a broad range of matters, with a particular focus on cross-border M&A in video games and other technology sectors and advising Eastern European-origin investors and businesses on international transactions.
His experience includes private share and business acquisitions / disposals, joint ventures, venture capital and private equity investments, investment fund structuring and formation, group reorganizations and public and private placements of equity and debt securities, in particular by foreign private issuers in exempt offerings in the United States. He advised on transactions in North America, Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia, and also worked for several years in New York and Moscow.
He also regularly advises private clients and companies on setting up charities in the UK and is one of the volunteer attorneys at KIND (Kids In Need of Defense) where he assists children of low income immigrants with obtaining British citizenship.
- Advising Aristocrat, an Australian public gambling machine manufacturer and its subsidiary Plarium, an Israeli mobile, social, and web-based game developer and publisher on acquisition of Futureplay, a Finnish mobile game developer of Merge Gardens and other video games.
- Advising sellers (Russia) on sale of Innova, a Luxembourg video game publisher and localization company to EG7, a Swedish public video game company.
- Advising sellers (Ukraine) on divestment to Blackstone of the business and assets of Murka, a mobile video game developer in the social casino genre.
- Advising Gett (UK/Israel/Russia), a taxi app company, on Series D fundraising and acquisition of Juno, a New York taxi app company with an R&D center in Belarus.
- Advising VEON (Netherlands/Russia) on the acquisition of a majority stake and structuring shareholder arrangements with the minority shareholders of OTM, a Russian advertising technology platform.
- Advising Fort Ross Ventures, an Russian-owned VC fund manager on setting up and operation of several venture funds who a focus on investments in Russia, CIS, US, Europe and Asia.
- Advising Jaja Finance (UK/Norway), a mobile credit card company, on acquisition of Bank of Ireland's UK credit card business and related fundraising.
- Advising Cisco (US) on Series A investment into Secure Code Warrior, a UK-based online secure coding platform.
- Advising Daimler (Germany) on Series D investment into CarWow, a UK online car marketplace.
- Advising Mphasis (India/US) on acquisition of Datalytyx, a UK data management company.
- Advising Fabric Ventures, a VC firm that invests in scalable decentralised networks on leading investment into Tiny Rebel Games, a Wales based AR and NFT-focused games developer.
- LL.M., Cornell University 2008
- Law Degree (J.D. equivalent), Moscow State Law Academy 2006
Shortlisted for LawWorks 2018 Annual Pro-Bono Awards (Best Contribution by an Individual) for his work for KIND (Kids In Need of Defense).