Dr Holger A. KastlerSenior Associate
Holger Kastler advises both local and multinational clients on any commercial IP and IT law matter. Holger’s clients are established technology companies facing challenges digitalizing their businesses as well as younger companies in the IT industry launching new products or developing new ways of commercializing their IP assets.
Holger has gained experience in drafting and negotiating various technology licensing agreements for his clients and regularly advises companies on the licensing and commercial use of open-source software. He also assists companies in protecting their technical know-how and trade secrets. As a Legal Tech Fellow, Holger Kastler is jointly responsible for DLA Piper's Legal Tech strategy in Germany.
- Advising various clients on hardware and software development agreements, IT outsourcing, cloud services, and XaaS agreements (SaaS/PaaS/IaaS/etc.).
- Advising an internet and mobile telecommunication service provider on the introduction of a Single Sign-On service.
- Advising an international manufacturer of Virtual Reality (VR) products on their product launch in the EU .
- Advising a start-up regarding works created by Artificial Intelligence (AI) and the implications for the protection and licensing of IP.
- Advising various clients on research & development agreements.
- Advising an international chip manufacturer on technology licensing.
- Advising an internet and mobile telecommunication service provider regarding FRAND licensing and standard-essential patents (SEP).
- University of Konstanz, Dr. jur., 2016.
Higher Regional Court of Berlin, Second State Examination, 2012
- University of Konstanz, First State Examination, 2008
- Bilgi University Istanbul
- Pro bono work for various human rights organizations.
- 2022 – to date, Senior Associate, DLA Piper, Munich
- 2018 – 2022, Managing Associate at a commercial law firm, Berlin
- 2015 – 2018, (Senior) Associate at a leading international law firm, Berlin
- 2014 – 2015, Associate at a leading international law firm, Duesseldorf
- Data Protection Officer (TUEV Nord)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Licensing Executives Society (LES)
- German Association for Intellectual Property and Copyright Law (GRUR)
- German Association of Law and Informatics (DGRI)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- German-American Lawyer's Association (DAJV)