Claire KermondShe/herSenior Associate
Claire Kermond has expertise in technology based projects, commercial contracting, data protection, privacy and cyber security.
Claire regularly advises clients on the management of cyber incidents including providing advice on the notifiable data breach regime in Australia and assisting with notifications to regulators and to impacted individuals.
Claire has undertaken several secondments with clients supporting their in-house technology and procurement teams.
- Advising a variety of domestic and international clients in a number of sectors (including retail, banking, technology and insurance) in relation to compliance with Australian privacy laws (including the notifiable data breach regime and compliance with the Australian Privacy Principles), direct marketing laws and associated regulatory issues.
- Assisting a range of clients in undertaking privacy impact assessments and data mapping projects. These comprehensive projects include reviewing the data handling and privacy policies and procedures of clients and advising on steps to ensure compliance with Australian privacy laws. Claire also has led several reviews of data protection requirements in the Asia-Pacific region including most recently in relation to data breach and cyber incident notifications across 20+ jurisdictions.
- Advising a number of clients on data breach and cyber incidents, including advising on the mandatory data breach notification regime, communications with regulators and notifications to impacted individuals.
- Advising and assisting a large insurance group on a major outsourcing project including development and documentation of commercial arrangements.
- Advising on and negotiating contractual arrangements for a client undertaking a major global technology outsourcing project. This included advising on complex data protection and privacy issues with cross-border data transfers.
- Assisting on the IP, technology, data protection and privacy aspects of corporate transactions including acquisitions, sales, and IPOs involving software developers and technology companies.
- Assisting clients establishing business in Australia and advising on key compliance issues associated with doing so.
- Macquarie University, Bachelor of Laws, 2015
- Macquarie University, Bachelor of Arts – International, Relations and Politics, Ancient History, 2015
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of New South Wales