Don KimSpecial Counsel
Don Kim is special counsel based in DLA Piper's Perth office. Don advises clients on a broad range of projects including large scale construction, infrastructure, energy and mining projects.
Prior to joining DLA Piper, Don worked at one of the largest law firms in Korea, representing both Korean and multinational clients in connection with corporate transactions, corporate rehabilitation and general corporate matters.
Don also served as a judge advocate officer of the ROK/US Combined Forces Command and as captain of the Republic of Korea Army, where he advised on numerous international legal issues, including North Korea's artillery attack on Yeonpyung Island and the sinking of the patrol ship Cheonan.
- Acting for a global EPC contractor in multiple disputes (including statutory adjudications, Supreme Court proceedings, High Court proceeding and international arbitrations under the ICC Rules) concerning the construction of an LNG plant and associated infrastructure in Australia.
- Acting for a major Korean construction company in multiple disputes (including statutory adjudications, Supreme Court proceedings and international arbitrations under the UNCITRAL Rules) arising under an EPC contract for the construction of mine, rail and port infrastructure in Western Australia.
- Advising one of the world’s largest steel manufacturers on various joint venture issues in relation to a coal mine located in Queensland, Australia.
- Advising a major shipbuilding company in relation to warranty claims arising out of a supply contract for a major LNG project in Australia.
- Assisting one of the world’s largest automobile manufacturers in developing a global compliance program for its overseas subsidiaries.
- Advising a Korean automobile parts manufacturer in relation to a product liability claim in Australia.
- Advising a major Korean construction company in relation to an EPC contract for a waste-to-energy facility in Western Australia.
- Advising a major Korean construction company in relation to the design and construction of a wind farm in Jordan.
- Victoria University of Wellington, Bachelor of Laws, 2008
- Sydney University, Master of Arts, 2003
- Auckland University, Bachelor of Arts, 2002
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Society of Construction Lawyers Australia