Dr Jens KirchnerPartner
High qualification and excellent sense for practice-oriented solutions.
Dr Jens Kirchner advises national and foreign companies on all aspects of collective and individual employment law with a focus on national and cross-border restructurings, acquisitions and outsourcing measures.
He has extensive experience in negotiations with employee representatives on co-determination rights and on enforcing operational changes requiring a balance of interests and social compensation plans. Furthermore, he also has experience with complex transfers of business, codes of conducts, issues of employee data protection, and with the secondment of employees to foreign countries.
Other areas of focus are HR compliance and workplace investigations, for example implementation of whistleblowing policies in Europe or internal investigations in multijurisdictional situations.
Jens advises in particular companies in the technology, metal, pharmaceutical, medical, automotive, telecommunication and aviation industries as well as in the banking and insurance sector.
Jens is editor of the book "Key Aspects of German Employment and Labour Law", second edition 2018. He is also editor of the book "Transfer of Business and Acquired Employee Rights: A Practical Guide for Europe and Across the Globe" covering 27 countries, first edition 2016.
- Leading the global project for the HR end of a divestiture of a business unit of German technology company, including negotiations with German Labour union for a house tariff agreement.
- Advising a global technology company regarding a compliance investigation covering 15 countries.
- Advising a German chemical company on restructuring including negotiation of balance of interest and social plan under special consideration of collective agreements.
- Advising a Norwegian automotive supplier on the closure of an operating unit including negotiating the balance of interest and social plan with interim employment company.
- Leading the negotiations for a financial services provider regading their house tariff agreement with the Labour union.
- Advising an international airline within an outsourcing measure on European level, including negotiating the operational change in Germany.
- Advising of an American automotive supplier re several European policies to improve their HR compliance structure, including national implementations.
- Advising an Indian technology group on partial closure of operations and relocation to UK, including negotiation of balance of interest, social plan with interim employment company as well as the necessary company collective agreement.
- Advising a US technology company on the reorganisation of European management structures focusing on Germany, France, the Netherlands and Switzerland.
- Justus-Liebig-University Giessen, First State Examination and Ph.D.
- Court of Appeal Frankfurt, Second State Examination
Awards & Recognitions
- JUVE Handbook 2022/2023: Frequently recommended for employment law: advising companies; “high qualification and excellent sense for practice-oriented solutions”, client (2021/2022)
- Legal 500 Germany 2022: Recommended for employment law; “Dr. Jens Kirchner and his colleagues did an excellent job of working through the difficult field of the interplay between insurance supervisory law and labor law with regard to the co-determination rights of the works council and finding a good solution in negotiations with the employee bodies. In particular, we were able to make profitable use of the very specific European regulations and the BaFin requirements. In doing so, the colleagues responded very well to us as clients, grasped the problem area very well and worked out a tailor-made strategy.”
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023: Recommended for labor and employment law
- "Key Aspects of German Employment and Labour Law", second edition 2018
- "Transfer of Business and Acquired Employee Rights", published by Springer 2016
- 2012 "German Employment and Labour Law - An Overview", issued together with Association of Foreign Banks in Germany (Verband der Auslandsbanken)
- Personalwirtschaft, March 2011, article on German HR issues that are difficult to understand for foreign decision makers
- "Key Aspects of German Employment and Labour Law", published by Springer 2010
Memberships And Affiliations
- European Academy of Law, Trier
- European Employment Lawyers Association (EELA)
My latest insights
Best Lawyers / Handelsblatt recommends a total of 90 lawyers from DLA Piper in Germany
23 June 2022 .2 minute read
Best Lawyers / Handelsblatt recommends a total of 88 lawyers from DLA Piper in Germany
24 June 2021 .14 minute read