David R. KnudsonOf Counsel
David R. Knudson represents clients in all areas of intellectual property, with an emphasis on patent litigation. David has experience in patent disputes before major district courts, at the Patent Trials and Appeal Board, and at the International Trade Commission.
Based out of San Diego, David focuses on complex patent technologies and has developed a reputation for defending multinational companies against non-practicing entities. David's strategic thinking and negotiation skills have resulted in many walkaway and/or low-dollar settlements with NPEs. David’s extensive case management experience enables him to efficiently handle suits no matter how complex.
David has helped try nearly twenty cases in the last twelve years, including twelve in district court and six in the ITC. Recently he has helped defend Samsung and a multinational technology company in trials in the Eastern District of Texas and has represented Microsoft, HP Inc., Lenovo, and Dell in multiple cases across the Western District of Texas and the International Trade Commission. David has been named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers every year since 2015.
- Represented a major multinational technology company in a multi-patent infringement action related to navigation, communications, and power management technology in smartphones in the Eastern District of Texas. The case settled on the eve of trial.
- Acorn Semi, LLC v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., et al. Defended Samsung in a patent infringement action related to wafer technology in smartphones, which resulted in a very low damages verdict—a fraction of what the plaintiff was asking—following a five day jury trial in the Eastern District of Texas.
- In the Matter of Certain Infotainment Systems, Components Thereof, and Automobiles Containing Same. Represented Toyota, Panasonic, DENSO, and Japan Radio against Complainant Broadcom in the ITC. Following a hearing, the ALJ found the asserted patents not infringed and invalid, which was upheld by the full commission.
- In the Matter of Certain Touch-Controlled Mobile Devices, Computers, and Components Thereof. Represented Microsoft, HP, Lenovo, and Dell in an ITC investigation and companion district court actions related to touch sensor technology. The cases ultimately settled on favorable terms.
- In the Matter of Certain Barcode Scanners, Mobile Computers with Barcode Scanning Capabilities, Scan Engines, and Components Thereof. Represented Honeywell in an ITC investigation and companion District Court litigations against its competitor, Zebra Technologies. The cases settled prior to the Administrative Law Judge's Initial Determination.
- West View Research, LLC v. BMW of North America, LLC et al. Represented BMW in a patent infringement action related to the infotainment systems in BMW's vehicles. The case settled favorably.
- Virgin Atlantic Airways v. Delta Airlines. Represented the plaintiff in litigation involving a patented design for First/Business Class seats in the District of Delaware.
- Princeton Digital Image Corp. v. Hewlett Packard. Represented HP in patent litigation involving JPEG and camera exposure technology in the Southern District of New York. HP prevailed on summary judgment, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Lodsys, LLC v. Hewlett Packard. Represented HP in patent litigation involving computer hardware components and controllers in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Fortinet v. Sophos. Represented defendant in patent and trade secret litigations involving antivirus and encryption software and appliances in the Northern District of California and in the District of Delaware.
- Biogen Idec v. GlaxoSmithKline. Represented joint plaintiffs in a biopharmaceutical patent infringement suit related to a monoclonal antibody treatment for cancer in the Southern District of California.
- CareFusion 303 v. Sigma International. Represented plaintiff in patent litigation involving infusion pump technology in the Southern District of California.
- Alvarado Orthopaedic Research v. ConMed / Linvatec. Represented defendants in a patent licensing dispute in the Southern District of California. Defendants prevailed following a jury trial.
- Karoun Dairies v. Karoun Dairies. Represented defendant in an international trademark infringement lawsuit in the Southern District of California.
- J.D., University of Arizona College of Law 2009
summa cum laude
- B.A., Creative Writing, University of Arizona 1999
summa cum laude
David has been named a Rising Star in Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers every year since 2015.
Prior to joining the firm, David worked as a Deputy City Attorney for the Office of the San Diego City Attorney's Civil Division, Special Litigation Unit. He co-chaired a complex three-week jury trial in a civil action brought by the City against a former employee under the California False Claims Act. David's trial team obtained a favorable monetary verdict for the City.
David volunteers his time to various nonprofit communities in the San Diego metro area, including Feeding America, the San Diego Jeep Club, and organizations that help veterans. He was recently appointed by the San Diego County Superior Court Presiding Judge as a community member of the County Parole Board. David also spent two years as an Interpretive Volunteer and Information Ambassador for the Zoological Society of San Diego, at the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park.
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers