Cissy Ko is a commercial technology and financial regulatory lawyer. She is dual-qualified in Hong Kong and England & Wales.
Cissy’s practice covers a wide array of commercial, transactional and technology-related matters, with her current focus on distributed ledger technology (DLT) applications, cryptocurrency and virtual asset regulations. She also has experience in central bank digital currency (CBDC), digital payments and data privacy matters.
Cissy advises clients in both the public and private sector, ranging from governmental authorities, tech giants and leading banks, to fintech start-ups.
- Acting on behalf of a governmental authority on its preparation to establish a legal framework to regulate virtual assets and cryptocurrencies.
- Advising various investment service companies on local regulatory compliance obligations, including but not limited to assisting to apply for licenses and obtain approvals from regulatory bodies.
- Advising a statutory authority on the legal feasibility of issuing CBDC in Hong Kong.*
- Advising a statutory authority on the set-up of a cross-border payment corridor (leveraging distributed ledger technology (DLT)) with another jurisdiction’s central bank to enhance and facilitate the ecosystem for cross-border payments.*
- Advising a statutory authority on the set-up of a financial infrastructure sandbox for enabling commercial data exchange among SMEs and licensed banks.*
- Advising and assisting a statutory association on the implementation of a data sharing platform in Hong Kong.*
- Advising a Hong Kong based money service provider on the set-up of a virtual banking platform from regulatory compliance and commercial perspective.*
- Assisting one of the Big 4 accounting firms in its acquisition of assets, including intellectual property rights, machineries and client contracts, from a Hong Kong based boutique consultancy company specialising in customer relationship and data management platforms and enterprise resources planning system implementation.*
- Advising a financial institution listed on the Shanghai Stock Exchange and Hong Kong Stock Exchange on the feasibility and regulatory requirements of setting up a cross-border centralised product platform.*
* Denotes experience from previous firms
- Chinese (Cantonese)
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- City University of Hong Kong, PCLL
BPP University Law School, LPC
- University of Bristol, LL.B (Hons)