Darryl KohSenior Associate
Darryl is a construction lawyer with a strong focus on dispute resolution involving international construction and engineering disputes. He has worked on all manners of dispute resolution processes such as arbitration, adjudication, litigation, mediation and negotiations. Apart from assisting clients with dispute resolution, Darryl also has experience in front-end construction advisory work.
Darryl has significant experience working with technical, engineering, delay and quantum experts in the construction industry previously in Australia and now in the Middle East. His clients include developers, contractors, engineering and manufacturing companies, and equipment suppliers in a variety of industries such as oil and gas and real estate.
- Acting for a developer against a main contractor in relation to the delays in the construction of a shopping mall in the UAE (DIFC-LCIA arbitration)
- Acting for an unincorporated joint venture main contractor against a consortium of sub-contractors in relation to a multi-billion dispute regarding the construction of a power plant in Australia (ICC arbitration seated in Singapore)
- Acting for a main contractor against the employer in a multi-billion dollar dispute regarding the construction of an onshore gas processing facility in Australia (ICC arbitration seated in Singapore)
- Acting for a sub-contractor in a dispute against a main contractor in relation to allegations of delays and defects in the fabrication and construction of pontoons for an onshore gas processing facility in Australia (litigation in the Supreme Court of Western Australia)
- Acting for an unincorporated joint venture main contractor against a sub-contractor in relation to defects in the fabrication of modular structures for an onshore gas processing facility in Australia (ICC arbitration seated in Singapore)
- Acting for a main contractor against the parent companies of a consortium of sub-contractors in relation to parent company guarantees (litigation in the Supreme Court of Western Australia which went on appeal in the Court of Appeal)
- Discrete advice to a specialized lithium equipment supplier in relation to a supply agreement for a lithium mining project in Australia
- Assisting a Chinese client in the acquisition of a gold mine in Australia, including conducting due diligence checks of the assets of the mine
- Acting for a mining software company in a licensing dispute in a trial involving the unauthorized use of specialized mining software (litigation in the Supreme Court of Western Australia, which went on appeal in the Court of Appeal)
- Acting for a developer in relation to a trial involving a leasing dispute (litigation in the Supreme Court of Western Australia)
- National University of Singapore, B.Eng (Electrical) (Hons)
- University of Western Australia, LLB (Dist)
- College of Law, Westerna Australia, Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice
- Builders Choice magazine – June 2014 – Know Your Options: Dispute Resolution Under Construction Law in Western Australia – What are the Quickest Ways to get Paid?
- Builders Choice magazine – September 2014 – 5 Things Everyone in the Building Industry Should Know About the Personal Property Securities Register
- Blockchain – Implications to the Legal Industry – June 2017 (Continuous Professional Development presentation)
- Instructing Experts in Litigation – September 2017 (Continuous Professional Development presentation)