Thomas KretschmannOf Counsel
Thomas Kretschmann practices in the area of employment law in a national and transnational context.
The focus of his activities is on collective bargaining and collective procedures including conduct of negotiations with Works Councils / Unions in business relevant processes, and implementation of corporate policies, processes, and procedures in Germany.
Thomas also advises Clients in the area of restructuring and rationalization. In this context, after consultation with the client, Thomas conducts all activities including implementation and internal and external communication beyond the negotiations with works councils/unions.
He also provides support with regard to profit improvement programmes and mayor organizational changes such as implementation of new business line structures and integration of former stand-alone country businesses into the cohesive pan-European business. His clients include companies in a range of sectors including metal industry, chemical and related industries as well as food industry.
Due to his many years of practical experience, his involvement in the employers’ association of the German glass and solar industry – most recently as president of the association –, and his membership in the Bargaining Committee of the Confederation of German Employers’ Associations Thomas has proven knowledge in collective bargaining and for labour relations in international corporations.
- Advising on the closure of a site with more than 400 employees in a chemical industry company while meeting agreed time and cost targets.*
- Advising a company in the chemical industry on the closure/freeze of the existing company pension scheme and the subsequent introduction of a new scheme.*
- Advising on the implementation of a cost reduction program in a company of the automotive supply industry with a sustainable reduction of labour costs by 20%.*
- Advising on the implementation of a new organizational structure in a company in the metal industry to restore profitability, including significant cost improvements and staff reductions.*
- Advising on the closure of a site with around 100 employees in a company in the food industry, meeting agreed time and cost targets.*
- Advising on the closure of a site with approximately 200 employees in a metal industry company while meeting agreed time and cost targets.*
- Justizprüfungsamt Northrhein-Westfalia, Second State Examination, 1983
- Justus-Liebig-Universität Giessen, First State Examination, 1980
Thomas began his professional career in 1983 as company legal adviser with Flachglas AG.
After this company was taken over by the Pilkington Group (later Pilkington/NSG), he became head of the law department there.
From 1993 he was a member of the management board of Flachglas AG and in 1997 he was appointed to the management board of Pilkington Deutschland GmbH.
Within the Pilkington Group, Thomas additionally took on the responsibility for automotive activities as HR Director Automotive Europe.
From 2005, when he was HR Director West Europe and HR Director North & Central Europe, his area of responsibility extended to cover all divisions of the company.
For almost 20 years Thomas was labour director of the codetermined Pilkington Group in Germany with responsibility for more than 10,000 employees at the peak.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Rechtsanwalt registered with Rechtsanwaltskammer Hamm