Sarah Leeman practices in the area of privacy, data protection and technology. Sarah assists companies with data protection compliance projects, including drafting and reviewing policies, data processing and data transfer agreements, and performing DPIAs. She further advises clients on specific issues such as online advertising and innovative technologies.
Recently, Sarah has completed a 1-month secondment during which she assisted a client with the re-papering of their standard contractual clauses.
- Advising on international data transfers and assisting in re-papering projects.
- Advising a Belgian governmental body on the use of a new internal platform, including the performance of a data protection impact assessment, the drafting of a data processing agreement between the different actors involved and other compliance documentation.
- Review of data protection impact assessments performed by the client in the context of a broader GDPR compliance project.
- Assisting a leading European UTM service provider with regard to its records of processing activities, policies and data protection impact assessments.
- Drafting data protection policies for various Belgian companies.
- Tilburg University, Law and Technology, LLM, summa cum laude, 2020
- Institute for European Studies, International and European Law, LLM, summa cum laude, 2019
- Ghent University, MA, magna cum laude, 2018
Aarhus University, Exchange, 2018
Before joining DLA Piper, Sarah worked as a legal advisor for the Supervisory Body for Police Information where she was involved in the reporting on the functioning of the terrorist fighter database and conducted several investigations with regard to police information management.
Before working at the Supervisory Body for Police Information, she also worked for the Litigation Chamber of the Belgian Data Protection Authority where she drafted internal policies and prepared litigation cases.
Finally, she completed an internship at the European Security and Defence College (ESDC) where she developed a network of cybersecurity experts.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member of the Dutch speaking Brussels Bar