Simon LevineGlobal Co-CEO
Global and International Board Member
Simon Levine has been the firm’s International Managing Partner and Global Co-CEO since 2015.
During his time in the role, Simon has reset DLA Piper’s strategy, culture and values and provided personal leadership to the firm’s Law& innovation agenda, as well as leading its ambitious approach to both diversity and inclusion, and sustainability and ESG. The firm’s reputation, brand and profitability has improved in each year of his office.
Before taking on his current roles, Simon sat on the firm’s Executive as Managing Director of Groups and Sectors, and prior to that was Co-Global Head of the Intellectual Property and Technology group, while keeping an active practice advising clients on intellectual property, media and sports law.
Simon focuses on all aspects of copyright and related rights, advertising and sponsorship, design rights, trademark rights, passing off, breach of confidence and patents. He has acted for well-known individuals, trusts, charities, and companies in many industries, in particular media, sport and technology.
Simon has also been involved in all aspects of litigation and arbitration. He has experience in worldwide courts and in co-ordinating multijurisdictional litigation, and has arbitrated under a number of rules including the ICC. In the UK, he has litigated in the High Court, the Copyright Tribunal, the Court of Appeal, the House of Lords/Supreme Court and the Privy Council, as well as the Trade Mark and Patent Registries in the UK and Europe, and the European Court of Justice. A number of his cases have been reported, set legal precedent in both IP and arbitration law, and have been the subject of media interest.
Simon has a passion for education and teaches IP and Business at Imperial College Business School in London, which granted him a professorship in 2015. He has also worked with and presented at the Moller Institute in Cambridge, and the Cambridge Institute for Sustainable Leadership.
He is currently a Non-Executive Board member for the UK higher education regulator, the Office for Students, and chairs its Quality Assessment Committee. He is a member of the Advisory Boards of the Lord Mayor’s Appeal, City UK and the International Development Business Exchange, and works with the leadership of the CBI and London First.
- Cambridge, BA (Hons) Law; MA (Hons) Law
Awards and recognition
- Most Innovative Leader, FT Innovative Lawyers Europe Awards 2021
- Eminent Practitioner in Intellectual Property, UK, Chambers Global since 2017 and Chambers UK since 2015
- Eminent Practitioner in Sport, UK, Chambers UK 2014-21
Volunteer speaker for Speakers for Schools
Publications and media
- Law firms must embrace change, not fear it, Linkedin, 18 November 2021
- What I have learned during lockdown, Linkedin, 9 February 2021
- Tessa Talks To... What music means to you | Music in the City, 2020
- Leading, with James Ashton, December 2020
- The DLA interview: On this rock I build…, Legal Business, 12 February 2019
Memberships And Affiliations
- The Intellectual Property Lawyers' Organisation (TIPLO)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- IP Committee of the City of London Law Society (CLLS)
- IP Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Chartered Institute of Patent Agents (CIPA)
- Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (CITMA)
- Non-executive board member and Chair of the Quality Assessment Committee, UK Office for Students
- Advisory board member, Lord Mayor’s Appeal
- Advisory board member, City UK
- Advisory board member, International Business and Diplomatic Exchange
My latest insights
DLA Piper awarded the 2023 Terra Carta Seal from the Sustainable Markets Initiative
28 November 2023 .4 minute read