Félix LeymanLead Lawyer
Felix Leyman practices in the area of European and Belgian regulatory affairs, with a particular focus on energy law, environmental law and government contracting.
After having obtained a master in international and European law at the University of Leuven, Félix acquired an LL.M. in Energy and Climate Law from the University in Groningen. With this expertise, Félix joined the regulatory and litigation department of DLA Piper, where he advises a wide range of energy companies, industrial companies and public authorities on energy and climate change regulations. Félix has experience in drafting, negotiating and litigating energy contracts.
In addition, Félix advises on public and administrative law, public procurement, environmental law and zoning and planning law.
Areas of experience:
- Public and administrative law
- Concession agreements
- Renewable energy projects (climate change law, EU and Belgian regulatory energy law, energy contracts - off-take contracts, EPC contracts)
- Environmental law and environmental impact assessment / strategic environmental assessment
- Private, public and administrative litigation
- Environmental law
- International and European law
- Assisting a marine infrastructure contractor in contract management and dispute settlement related to two major off-shore wind farm projects in the Belgian Exclusive Economic Zone of the North Sea.
- Advising an Eastern-European electricity exchange on a number of highly technical co-operation and market coupling agreements, concluded between over 15 European energy exchanges and over 15 European transmission system operators.
- Acting for a Belgian bank to carry out a due diligence for financing wind turbines.
- Advising a Belgian demand side response aggregator in negotiations with the Belgian state.
- Assisting an architectural bureau on an on-going basis with their tasks and assignments for several local authorities and institutions in the healthcare sector.
- Advising the City of Antwerp on an on-going basis on matters of public procurement.
- Advising a Belgian ground handling company in the aviation sector regarding a public procurement procedure.
- Advising the City of Antwerp on an on-going basis on matters of urban planning, environmental law, expropriation, urban restitution claims and the management of public areas.
- Assisting a player in the renewable energy sector, during the permitting proceedings of two wind turbines before the Council of Permit Disputes.
- Providing multijurisdictional advice for a major real estate developer with regard to several environmental impact assessments (EIA's) of projects in the surroundings of the Eurostadium-project in de Brussels / Flemish region.
- University of Groningen, LLM in Energy and Climate Law, 2017
- KU Leuven, Master in Laws, 2016
- Université Robert Schuman, Erasmus exchange programme, 2015
- Silver Award winner at the Legal Essay Competition on Climate Change, Sustainable Development and the Law
- Alec Van Vaerenberg and Félix Leyman, "Product als Dienst"-overeenkomsten, een stap in de richting van een circulaire economie, Tijdschrift Milieu- en Energierecht, 2019, 20-30.