Chris LiuOf Counsel
Chris Liu is Of Counsel in DLA Piper’s Intellectual Property team, based in the Hong Kong office.
Chris is an experienced intellectual property lawyer with both US and international experience. He represents clients from a variety of industries in complex district court patent litigations, PTAB proceedings, ITC-337, trade secret and other IP-related litigations.
Chris’s litigation experience includes cases in California, Texas, Delaware, Virginia, New York, Massachusetts, Minnesota, PTAB and ITC. His experience also includes the recent Federal Circuit appeals of the PTAB decisions on a group of standard-essential patents (SEP) involving 4G LTE telecommunications standards.
With advanced degrees in Physics and Electrical and Computer Engineering, Chris is comfortable in diverse technical fields, including semiconductors and integrated circuits, telecommunications standards(3G/4G/5G), GPS and related navigation system technology, medical products, medical imaging, credit cards, data encryption, electro-optical material and devices, consumer electronics, MEMS, mobile web, LED control circuits, tunable laser, computer software, digital compression, InGaN LEDs, DRAMs, and nuclear fusion.
- Google Chromecast products related patent litigations.
- Google Pixel, YouTube TV, YouTube Music, G Suite, Gmail, and Nest Cam related patent litigations.
- Federal Circuit appeals of seven PTAB IPR decisions of a group of 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) standard essential patents (SEP) related to 4G LTE technologies.
- Represented high-speed data, cable, and digital telephony services companies in a patent infringement lawsuit regarding telecommunication technologies.
- Represented an international consumer electronics company in patent licensing (design and utility patents) involving 30+ targets; negotiated and drafted patent licensing agreements and covenant not to sue.
- Represented a US multinational technology company in a patent infringement lawsuit regarding voice over IP technologies.
- Represented a business executive in a cross-border trade secret, unfair competition and employment lawsuit filed by a publicly traded US company.
- Acquisition of a Chinese AI video camera company by US entities, due diligence, security and strategic advice.
- Silicon Valley low power wearable smart device start-up company, VIE structure design and setup, VC planning, IP strategy.
*Experience from previous firms
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- The George Washington University Law School, 2013, J.D.
- Brandeis University, M.S., Physics/PhD candidate
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst, M.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Science and Technology of China, B.S., Physics