Richard Lord is a partner in the firm’s real estate law practice group, with a practice focusing on the buying, selling, leasing, financing, and development of commercial real estate.
Richard acts for a number of national retail tenants; assisting them with all aspects of their leasing activities.
Richard also acts for major publicly traded companies and a major publicly traded real estate investment trust; assisting them with the acquisition and sale of existing shopping centres and office building properties and with the acquisition and development of bare land for shopping centre purposes.
Previously, Richard served as a judicial law clerk for six justices of the British Columbia Supreme Court.
- Acted for First Capital Realty on the sale of twelve investment properties to Retrocom Real Estate Investment Trust for approximately $190 million.
- Acted for the purchaser, a publicly traded real estate company, in the acquisition of the 194,000 sf “The Shops at New West” shopping centre in New Westminster, BC, a shopping centre that has a Translink operated skytrain station and line running through it and third party owned residential towers within air space parcels stacked above it.
- Acted for the purchaser, a publicly traded real estate company, in the acquisition of the “False Creek Village” shopping centre in Vancouver, BC, being the retail component of the Olympic Village mixed use development.
- Acted for the purchaser, a publicly traded REIT, in acquiring 5 shopping centres in British Columbia and Alberta for an aggregate purchase price in excess of $80 million.
- Acted for the borrower, a publicly traded REIT, in establishing a $40 million credit facility secured by commercial properties in Quebec, Ontario and BC.
- Acted for the purchaser, a publicly traded REIT, in acquiring an Alberta shopping centre through an “UPREIT” type transaction.
- Acted for the borrower, a private REIT, in establishing a $40 million credit facility secured principally by units held in a publicly traded REIT and by commercial properties located in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario.
- Acted for a publicly traded REIT in the roll in of 22 commercial properties located in BC and the Yukon in connection with the REIT’s IPO.
- Acted for a private limited partnership in the acquisition of an ownership interest in a Montreal, Quebec retail/industrial property through the acquisition of GE’s controlling interest in a Quebec general partnership.
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 2002
- B.Comm. (with Distinction), University of Victoria, 1999
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Real Estate Law), 2022-2023
- Legal 500 Canada (Real Estate), 2023
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
My latest insights
DLA Piper (Canada) LLP recognized in the 2022 Best Lawyers in Canada guide
25 August 2021 .66 minute read
A “Rent” Subsidy That’s Not Just for Tenants: A Guide to the New Canada Emergency Rent...
19 November 2020 .8 minute read