Karim Maalioun LL.M.Partner
Karim is a project development and project finance lawyer specialized in the energy and natural resources sectors. He advises multinational corporations, equity investors, debt providers, development finance institutions, governments, project developers, utilities, and other stakeholders in large-scale international energy and natural resources projects. He also provides legal and policy advice for governments and institutions seeking to develop a sustainable energy policy that is cost-effective and suited to the needs of consumers.
Karim is often distinguished as one of the most influential lawyers in Francophone Africa by the magazine Jeune Afrique.
Karim’s is a very experienced lawyer and has closed transactions in more than thirty different countries in Africa. His experience include the representation of various clients in connection with:
- mergers and acquisitions;
- development, construction and financing of power and mining projects;
- the concession agreements, power purchase agreements, grid connection contracts, and power transport, distribution and interconnection agreements (conventional and renewable);
- construction contracts (EPC/O&M) for power plants and transmission lines;
- joint venture operating agreements;
- the royalty and stream agreements and more generally mining related agreements and
- the strategic agreements between governments. Karim is also a key player in the dispute’s resolution involving private and public entities in strategic and complex sectors.
- HEC School of Management, (France) in partnership with Babson College (USA) and SAID Business School (UK) , Master of Business Administration (executive), 2007 (2 years)
- University of Lyon (Jean Moulin), France , International Business Law, LL.M., 1997
- University of Lyon (Jean Moulin), France, Master of Law, 1996
- Demystifying doing business in the OHADA region and practical tips to succeed in your business (Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada – Toronto).
- Faire des affaires en Algerie et en Tunisie et presentation des cadres juridiques et fiscaux des deux pays (Chambre de Commerce du Montreal Metropolitan – Montreal).
- Debat sur la RSE a la lumiere de l’experience canadienne (Casablanca (Morocco) – Federation de l’industrie minerale du Maroc).
- How to structure successful transactions in OHADA law countries – some tips (Washington DC – African Business Law Firm Association).
- Innovative financing of infrastructures in West Africa – The example of Senegal (Paris – International Project Finance Association).
- Independent Power Producers, Covid-19 and contractual issues.
- Nationalisme des ressources naturelles : fongible dans la réalité des affaires?
- Resources Nationalism is on the Rise again – It’s time for a quick refresher (webinar).
- Franco-Africa and OHADA panel – (Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada – webinar).
- Conference on natural gas and renewable energy in North Africa and the Middle East (London – CBL Meetings).
- Africa Rising Report (Report and Webinar – London).
Memberships And Affiliations
- Admitted to the Paris Bar, France, 1999
- Lecturer in French and Canadian universities (Montreal, Paris and Lille) – banking law and OHADA law.
- Member of the African Business Law Firm Association.
- Member of the Cercle des Ambassadeurs.