Jamie has experience advising on various types of financing transactions including secured lending, cross-border financing, project finance, syndicated lending, debt restructuring and hedging transactions. He has advised on large accommodation, telecommunications and toll road projects as well as transactions in the power and energy (including renewable energy), mining and natural resources sectors.
Jamie has acted on transactions locally and in various jurisdictions throughout Africa and has advised both sponsors and lenders.
- Advising a Mauritian solar energy company on the merger of its investments in 5 African countries with those of another Mauritian solar energy company through the establishment of, and transfer of their respective businesses to, a newly incorporated Mauritian company.
- Advising the lenders in relation to the financing of five renewable energy wind power projects to be financed, on a portfolio financing basis, under Round IV of the Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme.
- Advising the lenders in relation to a term loan facility (and related export credit aspects) to a diamond mining company in Lesotho for the construction of a workshop complex at its current mine in Lesotho.
- Advising the lender in relation to a revolving credit facility to be provided to a uranium mining company incorporated in Namibia as well as certain debt restructuring aspects of the deal following financial close.
- Acting as lenders’ legal advisor in relation to the US$85 million funding package (including a senior term loan facility, a working capital facility and an equipment finance facility) advanced by Nedbank Limited to Sierra Rutile Limited.
- Advising the lender in relation to the initial funding and subsequent debt restructure of a US$25 million term loan facility provided to a diamond mining company in Botswana.
- Advising the lender in relation to a US$35 million unsecured revolving credit facility to an AIM listed borrower.
- Advising the lender in relation to the financing of a coal mining company, which funding was utilised to refinance the existing term loan facilities of its holding company and for purposes of development expenditure for the construction and development of an opencast coal mine and colliery.
- Advising Investec Bank Limited in relation to a R350 million debt term loan facility provided to Keaton Mining Proprietary Limited.
- Advising Investec Bank Limited in relation to the term loan facility provided to a corporate borrower for general working capital purposes.
- Advising Investec Bank Limited, Nedbank Limited, Development Bank of Southern Africa Limited, Absa Bank Limited, Rand Merchant Bank, Sanlam Capital Markets in relation to the financing of the 1,005 MW greenfield open cycle gas turbine facilities in KwaZulu-Natal and Eastern Cape under the IPP Peaking Power Generation Projects.
The above transactions were completed whilst Jamie was in his previous employ
- University of Witwatersrand, Certificate, Banking and Financial Markets, 2009
- University of Exeter, LL.M., International Business Law, 2006
- Rhodes University, LL.B., 2004
- Recognised by IFLR1000 (2017-2022) ranks Jamie as 'highly regarded' in Project Finance (Energy and Mining)
My latest insights
The adapting role of DFIs in Africa – We can meet Africa's developmental goals
15 December 2022 .2 minute read
DLA Piper advises on Pan-African Starsight Energy and SolarAfrica Energy merger
25 September 2022 .3 minute read