Germaine Machin-CowenSenior Associate
Germaine Machin-Cowen is experienced at providing advice and support on a broad range of contentious and non-contentious employment issues, including HR, industrial relations, mergers and acquisitions, outsourcing, business immigration and employment tribunal claims to employers from a variety of sectors.
Germaine works across a number of different sectors with a particularly focus on hospitality and leisure, technology, UK Life Sciences. She has a particular expertise in TUPE and its implications on business transfers and outsourcing and regularly advises on the employment aspects of outsourcing on both the customer and supplier side. Germaine also regularly coordinates international employment projects for global clients across a range of jurisdictions, acting as a single point of contact to provide consistent and colsolidated multi-jurisdictional advice.
- Providing support in relation to complex TUPE and ARD drafting involving a number of different exit scenarios as part of an outsourcing of IT services to a global real estate client, including negotiating an agreed position with the incoming provider.
- Providing an "Employment Helpline" service to a large global hospitality leisure and entertainments client in relation to a wide range of day to day employment queries, as well as providing strategic advice and support in relation to its restructuring activities, including support with collective redundancy processes and agreed commercial exits.
- Assisting a financial services client in relation to the employee relations aspects of a complex technology transformation and first generation IT outsourcing and preparing and negotiating TUPE and secondment drafting to support the same.
- Advising a life sciences client in relation to employment status issues and providing strategic advice alongside tax as part of the company’s IR35 preparations.
- Managing a cross border project involving employment issues across several jurisdictions and reporting to the client on multi-jurisdiction issues including issues which include collective consultation requirements on both outsourcing and site closures.
- Advising a global life sciences client on a range of matters, including the employment aspects of a business acquisition and the post completion integration of staff involved, as well as senior exits and UK restructuring and advice on UK redundancies.
- Advising a key hospitality leisure and entertainments client on the impact of the Covid-19, the closure of its UK based attractions and the furlough of a significant number of staff as a result. Work included advising on the application of the job retention scheme across a significant and complex work force, changes to contractual terms and workforce reductions.
- University of Newcastle upon Tyne: BA(Hons), English Literature
- Sheffield University: MA(Hons), Law
- BPP Law School: Legal Practice Course
Memberships And Affiliations
- Employment Lawyers Association