Thomas G. MairaPartner
Thomas Maira advises Real Estate private equity groups, investors, sponsors, operators, sellers, buyers, developers, borrowers and lenders in connection with Real Estate joint ventures and preferred equity investments, acquisitions, dispositions, development, mortgage and mezzanine loans in connection with all asset classes nationally.
- Representation of many real estate private equity and investment vehicles as the capital partner, preferred equity investor, or mortgage or mezzanine lender in many asset classes (stabilized and development) and on a national basis
- Representation of many real estate sponsors and operators as the operating partner in real estate joint ventures in many asset classes (stabilized and development) and on a national basis
- Representation of various national investors and developers in the acquisition, joint venture, financing, development, refinancing and sale of Multifamily, Student Housing and Senior Housing assets
- Acquisition, joint venture, financing and work-out and restructuring of a US$3 Billion portfolio of real estate assets, loans and operating companies including retail mall, shopping center and multi-family property portfolios and operating companies, self-storage property portfolios, mixed-use and retail land development properties, mezzanine loans, industrial properties and a parking operating company
- J.D., St. John's University School of Law
B.B.A., Pace University's Lubin School of Business
- Real Estate Joint Venture Dealmakers Meeting (iGlobal June, 2020)
- Real Estate Joint Venture Dealmakers Meeting (iGlobal May 31, 2019)
- Structuring Real Estate Joint Ventures- Loan and Manager Defaults, Bankruptcy and Distressed Property (Strafford Webinar August , 2018)
- Structuring Real Estate Joint Ventures- Capital Commitments, Allocations, Tax, Governance and Exit Strategies (Strafford Webinar July 27, 2017)
- Annual US Real Estate Opportunity and Private Funds Investing Forum (IMN June 13-14, 2016)
- Syndicated Real Estate Investments- Raising Capital (Strafford Webinar February 4, 2015)
- Foreign Investment in US Real Property (Strafford Webinar May 29, 2013)
Executed and managed, in a combined business and legal role, the equity investment, financing, and asset management aspects of the international investment company's commercial real estate group, including strategy, origination, deal structuring and negotiation and transaction execution in connection with real estate asset, loan and operating company acquisitions and financings, joint ventures, investor relationships, refinancing, dispositions, restructurings, and work-outs.
Represented investment banks, financial institutions, corporate and government clients in connections with all aspects of large scale sophisticated commercial real estate finance, acquisition, sale, lease and development transactions.
My latest insights
Real estate tokenization and the potential benefits of reassessing the limited partner...
9 November 2020 .3 minute read
New York State bill would require recording and taxation of mezzanine debt and preferred...
25 August 2020 .2 minute read