Carla MarcelinoShe/herSenior Associate
Carla Marcelino is a lawyer who specializes in Competition and European Union law. She represents clients before national and international courts and provides advice to companies and individuals on legal issues in her areas of expertise.
Carla frequently represents major national and multinational companies before courts or competition authorities in cartel cases, merger review proceedings and different competition infringement cases. Carla also represents manufacturers and other large companies in private enforcement cases arising from cartel claims. She provides ongoing legal advice to companies regarding distribution agreements, consumer protection issues, and sector regulations, particularly the sectors of transportation, food and beverage and digital services.
Carla has served as associate director of the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore, where she worked on high-profile cartel cases and assessed cross-border mergers involving different jurisdictions in the Asia-Pacific.
In 2016-2018 she served as competition expert for the OECD in Paris, where she was involved in competition assessment projects that allowed her to advocate for better regulation with national governments and institutional stakeholders. She served as international law adviser to the Securities regulator in Portugal.
Carla has also developed diplomatic work by assisting the Portuguese Mission to the UN during the membership of Portugal to the Security Council in 2011 in areas such as disarmament, sanctions over Libya, and has participated in the negotiations of several peacekeeping missions in Haiti and other locations.
She is admitted to the Portuguese Bar and practiced as a litigation and competition lawyer at VdA and CSA in Lisbon. She graduated and holds an LLM in Competition law and Economic regulation from the University of Lisbon, and studied EU law in the King's College in London. She frequently writes competition-related articles for publications such as the Kluwer Competition Law Blog. Carla is fluent in English and has an intermediate level of Spanish and basic Arabic and French.
- Representing a major OEM involved in the trucks-cartel in several private enforcement cases.
- Representing several companies and trade associations in merger cases and investigations conducted by the Competition Authority.
- Representing a major beverage supplier in the first set of hub-and-spoke cases in Portugal.
- Provide ongoing legal advice to companies regarding distribution agreements, consumer protection issues, and sector regulations, particularly the sectors of transportation, food and beverage and digital services.
- In Singapore assessed cross-border transactions such as Alston-Siemens and Widex-JPPSpicers.
- Faculty of Law of the University of Lisbon, Master’s Degree in Competition Law and Economic Regulation, 2020
- King’s College London, Advanced Course on European Union Law, 2016
- Faculty of Law of the University of Lisbon, Law Degree, 2009
- Main Developments in Competition Law and Policy 2021: Portugal, Kluwer Competition Law Blog, January 2022
- Competition law class actions in Portugal: first court-approved settlement, Kluwer Competition Law Blog, November 2021
- Kluwer Competition Law Blog - Main Developments in Competition Law and Policy 2020: Portugal, Kluwer Competition Law Blog, January 2021
- 2019-2020, Senior Associate Lawyer, Competition & EU Department, Lisbon based law firm
- 2018-2019, Assistant Director, Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore
- 2018, Legal Adviser, Regulatory Policy and International Affairs Department, CMVM - Portuguese Securities Market Commission
- 2016-2018, Competition Analyst, Competition Division, OECD, Paris/Lisbon
- 2009-2016, Trainee and Associate Lawyer, Lisbon based law firm
- 2014, Trainee, Portuguese Competition Authority
- 2011, Assistant Attaché, Permanent Mission of Portugal to the United Nations, New York
Memberships And Affiliations
- Admitted to the Portuguese Bar Association
- Member of the Portuguese Association of EU Law
- Member of the National Association of Young Lawyers