Abigail MathewsSenior Associate
Abigail Mathews has experience in relation to a number of energy, infrastructure and construction projects (including PFI financed schemes), joint ventures and particularly in relation to accommodation projects. Abigail's experience is both on advising on new projects and operational issues, including variations.
She has extensive experience advising the energy sector and advises clients on their biomass and CHP facilities. Abigail regularly advises on the full suite of project and finance documentation required for renewable energy projects, including the negotiation of the Fuel Supply Agreement, EPC Contract and Operation and Maintenance Agreement.
Abigail regularly acts for PFI project companies and Funders in relation to operational projects (for example in the education and healthcare sectors) and takes on the role of our key client contact on such matters, advising on procurement issues, contractual drafting and operational considerations.
- Advising Stobart Biomass Products Limited and Stobart Group Limited in relation to several biomass projects, including a 40 MW biomass facility at the Port of Tilbury and a GBP110m combined heat and power biomass plant in Widnes.
- Advising Sellafield Ltd in relation to procurements conducted under the Public Contracts Regulations. Abigail's experience involves reviewing terms and conditions and invitations to tender to ensure compliant procurement processes, and advising generally on procurement risk through the procurement process or on specific procurement queries. Abigail advised Sellafield Ltd on the development of a new form of model contact to be used by Sellafield for the procurement of cGBP16 million of nuclear waste encapsulation units.
- Advising to National Grid's gas distribution legal team. Providing advice on a number of matters including various innovation projects, street work and theft of gas queries, general contract advice and procurement advice.
- On-going operational advice and support to the Project Company in relation to Birmingham City Council’s Building Schools for the Future project (Phase 1A and 1B). Abigail has advised the Project Company in relation to a number of variations, including academy conversions and additional works.
- Advising the DfE in relation to its academy conversion programme.
- Advising the Bradford project companies (in respect of both the Bradford BSF Phase 1 and the Bradford BSF Phase 2 PFI schemes) and also the Birmingham LEP and project company, in relation to their operational PFI and D&B projects. Abigail has advised (and continues to advise) on a number of variations to the projects (such as conversions of PFI schools and non-PFI D&B schools to academy status), and provides day to day advice on interpretation and management of the project documents.
- Operational advice to the sponsors on the Central Manchester Hospitals PFI scheme. Abigail has acted for the sponsors on a number of variations to the scheme.
- Operational advice to the Project Company in relation to the St James’s University Hospitals, Leeds PFI project. Abigail advises the Project Company on its contractual obligations, as well as giving advice on operational considerations and relationships with other contractual parties (including Funders and subcontractors). Abigail was also part of the team advising the Project Company in relation to a refinancing of the Project which completed in 2017.
- Advising Aviva Public Private Finance Limited in relation to the Stoke Extra Care Social Housing Non-HRA PFI and Hull Social Housing Non-HRA PFI schemes. The work included reviewing and negotiating key project documents and conditions precedent on behalf of Aviva Public Private Finance Limited, as funder.
- Advising Orthios Group Plc in relation to the development of its 299 MWe biomass facility in Anglesey. There will be 5 independent 60 MWe power modules which will gasify approximately 1.5 million metric tonnes of biomass per year.
- University of Liverpool, BA, Hons, First Class, 2008
- The College of Law, Chester, Legal Practice Course, Distinction, 2008
- 2016 - present; Senior Associate, Finance and Projects, DLA Piper, Manchester
- 2011 - present; Associate, Finance & Projects, DLA Piper, Manchester
- 2009 - 2011; Trainee Solicitor, DLA Piper, Manchester