Alex MaySpecial Counsel
Alex is an experienced intellectual property disputes lawyer who specialises in advising innovators on multi-jurisdictional patent litigation and related matters. He has successfully represented many pharmaceutical and biotech companies in disputes relating to their blockbuster antiviral medicines, chemotherapy agents and autoimmune disease treatments. Alex also conducts patent litigation in the telecoms, electronics and engineering fields, and advises on copyright, trade secret, industrial design and trade mark disputes.
Alex’s practice includes validity and infringement opinions, patenting and litigation strategy, patent oppositions, freedom-to-operate advice, patent term extensions, patent amendment and prosecution, coordinating overseas litigation and patent office proceedings, and drug life cycle management.
Alex is qualified as a lawyer in both Australia and the UK with substantial experience in each jurisdiction. He has also served as in-house IP counsel for a multinational organisation. Alex has a technical background in genetics, and before commencing his legal career, he spent two years performing molecular biology research.
- Coordinating patent litigation concerning a chemotherapy agent around the world, including assisting in obtaining a cross-border preliminary injunction. *
- Defending a challenge to the validity of a patent term extension relating to an antiviral medicine.*
- Providing freedom-to-operate advice to a biotech company regarding its development of two biosimilars and preparing evidence to revoke patents relevant to a third biosimilar. *
- Conducting an opposition to the grant of an antibody-drug conjugate patent. *
- Identifying and challenging patent applications relating to an antiviral medicine in patent offices around the world. *
- Acting for a smartphone and tablet manufacturer in revoking, and obtaining declarations of non-infringement of, a competitor’s patents, as well as asserting patents against a different competitor. *
- Seeking to revoke an offshore drilling patent and defending a claim for its infringement. *
- Managing the IP assets of an aerospace company. *
- Representing a manufacturer of two-way radios in copyright and trade secret litigation arising out of its alleged misuse of a competitor’s source code. *
- Advising on the conduct and settlement of various industrial design, trade mark, confidential information, copyright and unfair competition disputes. *
* Denotes experience from previous firm
- University of Nottingham, Bachelor of Science (Human Genetics)
BPP Law School, London, Postgraduate Diploma in Law
BPP Law School, London, Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice
University of Oxford, Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice
- World Intellectual Property Review Leaders, Patents, (2022, 2021),Trade Marks, (2022)
- Managing Intellectual Property, Rising Star, 2022
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand