Charlene McLaughlanLegal Director
Charlene McLaughlan specialises in large infrastructure projects and is experienced in dealing with different public private partnership models throughout the UK and internationally. She works across sectors including education, health, transport and waste.
She has experience acting on all sides of the table, from developing standard form documentation and derogations for public sector clients, to acting for sponsors, contractors and funders through bid stages of a project until close.
Charlene also regularly works on operational issues with clients including contract variations, secondary market transactions and the restructuring of distressed projects.
- Velindre University NHS Trust on £180 million Velindre Cancer Care Centre MIM Project. Charlene is currently advising on the procurement of this exiting project, which will be the first MIM Health Project for Wales.
- Welsh Government on its MIM Standard Form Project Agreement, for use in the accommodation sector (including health and education), sector specific tailoring, approach to statistical treatment assessment and structuring under the Standard Form MIM Shareholders Agreement, which were published in 2017.
- Serco, as Service Provider on the £270 million Dumfries & Galloway Hospital NPD Project (a bespoke Scottish form of PPP), that closed in 2015 and subsequent operational advice.
- Welsh Government on the 21st Century Schools WEP Strategic Partnering Delivery Model procurement, the first of its kind in Wales. The estimated contract value is £1.5 billion and the project closed in September 2020 (during the COVID pandemic and nevertheless on the target completion date set out at the start of the procurement).
- A club of Funders on the 2016 Irish Schools (Bundle 5) PPP Project. This project involved the design, build, finance and maintenance of five new schools in Ireland with a total project value of c.€80 million.
- A range of sponsors on various operational projects in the education sector including matters such as Variations, Change in Law risk, settlement agreements in distressed projects, refinancing, benchmarking and market testing and handback.
- Franchisee on the on the £800 million Caledonian Sleepers rail franchise in 2014-2015.
- Club of funders on the M80 Haggs to Stepps DBFO project, providing regular ongoing advice to the consortium on operational matters.
- Glasgow City Council - Glasgow Residual Waste Treatment Project, providing ongoing advice on operational matters on this £160 million waste treatment project.
- International client on the development and structuring of a cross border (US) $2 billion special economic zone project in East Africa in 2016.
- Glasgow Graduate School of Law, Diploma in Legal Practice, 2006
- Edinburgh University, LLB, Hons, 2004
Charlene regularly provides training events for clients on key legal issues relevant to the PPP sector and has worked with New Perimeter and the East African Development Bank in delivering workshops for East African Government Lawyers on negotiation.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of Scotland