Rob McMasterSpecial Counsel
Rob McMaster is an experienced IP litigation and disputes lawyer. As a qualified mechanical engineer, Rob has a particular appreciation for the technologies of clients in the industrials, medical device, engineering, mining and construction sectors. He leads DLA Piper’s automotive sector initiatives in Australia, with a particular focus on autonomous vehicles and alternative fuel technologies.
His practice focuses on patent disputes, as well as strategic patent advice including freedom to operate and infringement risk analysis. Rob has acted in complex, multi-jurisdictional, multi-patent disputes, and numerous landmark patent cases in Australia. Rob also acts in disputes relating to trade marks, copyright, designs and confidential information.
- Acting in multi-jurisdictional, multi-patent disputes related to medical devices.
- Providing freedom to operate advice and co-ordinating global patent defence strategies.
- Representing clients in patent disputes before the Federal Court and Patent Office in technologies including medical devices, construction products, water treatment, mining equipment, haulage trailers, braking systems, locks, alarm technologies, industrial machinery, optical security devices, and toys.
- Acting for clients in trade mark disputes in industries including oil and gas, automotive, retail, FMCG, entertainment, food and beverage, and clothing.
- Providing copyright infringement advice in relation to manufacturing drawings and specifications, automotive parts catalogues, instruction manuals, information brochures, sculptures, and photographs.
University of Melbourne, Bachelor of Laws
University of Melbourne, Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)
Monash University, Master of Laws (Intellectual Property)
- Managing Intellectual Property 2020/21 “Rising Star”
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Institute of Patent and Trade Marks Attorneys