Jan Metelka LL.M.Associate
Jan Metelka is an associate in the Corporate practice group. He focuses on corporate and commercial law, personal data protection and IPT.
Jan mainly represents clients across various sectors in Czech corporate law as well as commercial law matters concerning technology, data protection, consumer protection and intellectual property.
Jan Metelka joined DLA Piper’s Prague office after graduating from Charles University, Prague. He also studied at the University of Copenhagen on its annual foreign program, and obtained an LLM degree from Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest. He’s currently studying for his Ph.D. in commercial law.
- Advising Michelin, a company from the French multinational tyre manufacturing group, on the acquisition of ČEMAT, a sales-focused company that offers accessories for handling equipment and construction machinery on Czech and Slovak market.
- Advising Lidya Holdings Inc, a leading African fintech company providing small loans, with launching the client's business in the Czech Republic (formation of the subsidiary, obtaining licenses and day-to-day matters advisory such as AML, KYC or ultimate beneficial ownership).
- Advising UniCredit Leasing CZ on personal data protection (internal processes, relations with clients, relations with business partners).
- Advising Happy Socks AB, a Swedish manufacturer of designer socks, on filing the opposition against a trademark of a client´s competitor within the Czech Office for Protection of Intellectual Property (UPV).
- Advising a world famous manufacturer of scented candles on intellectual property issues according to Czech law.
- Advising a major Czech developer on commercial law matters and related advice on a trademark license for the food court area in a prominent project in Prague.
- Advising a leading global investor, developer and manager of a European logistics real estate portfolio, on regulatory and legal aspects relating to the creation of a solar PV fund to exploit the rooftop spaces on warehouses for the generation of solar energy.
- Advising the major provider of co-working spaces in setting up a new entity in the Czech Republic and related regulatory advice.
- Advising major world famous toy producers in intellectual property infringement claims in the Czech Republic, including related seminars for Czech Customs Officers.
- Advising a leading pharmaceutical company on the implementation of General Data Protection Regulation and related notifications.
- Eötvös Loránd University in Budapest, LL.M., 2017
- Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Law, Mgr., 2016
- University of Copenhagen, one-year foreign program, 2014
- Various articles published in the fields of protection of privacy, corporate law, banking, competition law and life sciences in online and printed law journals and business magazines.
- Key speaker: "Borders between legal monitoring and stalking", 2015
- 2014-2015, Paralegal, Magic Circle London-based international law firm
- 2015-2016, Paralegal, major Czech law firm
- Pro Bono work for Office Of The United Nations High Commissioner For Refugees regarding the local law and policy research.
- Assisting with establishing a fundraising project, “Nadační fond Pomáháme sportem Ukrajině,” to support Ukrainian athletes and sports clubs on the territory of the Czech Republic and Ukraine, including organizing assistance for Ukrainian war refugees, providing sports activities for Ukrainian children and young people, and providing material and coaching support.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Czech Bar Association
- KUBULUS - University of Copenhagen Alumni
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Cube Infrastructure Managers on acquisition of MVV Energie CZ
12 December 2022 .2 minute read