Jamie Mills has a practice primarily focused on the litigation of patents, trademarks and copyrights.
He has advocated before the Supreme Court of Canada, the Ontario Courts, the Federal Courts, the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board, the Trademarks Opposition Board and the Patent Appeal Board. Jamie advises clients in pharmaceutical pricing, pharmaceutical regulatory law, and government relations for the pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical Industries. Jamie also has expertise with respect to trademark litigation, copyright litigation and other types of commercial litigation.
Jamie is a frequent speaker on intellectual property litigation, in particular with regard to pharmaceutical and biotechnology related matters. He has been recognized for his considerable background in these areas by leading lawyer ranking guides Chambers and Partners, The Legal 500, The Best Lawyers in Canada, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Benchmark Canada, IAM Patent 1000 and Managing Intellectual Property and was listed a Top 250 Life Sciences Patent Litigator, Top 250 Patent Litigator and Top 1000 Patent Practitioner in the world by Intellectual Asset Management Magazine.
In 2017, Jamie was appointed a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America.
- Acting as counsel for innovator companies in proceedings brought pursuant to the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations.
- Acting as counsel in patent infringement and patent impeachment actions.
- Acting as counsel in trademark infringement and expungement proceedings.
- Acting as counsel in a copyright infringement actions.
- Acting as counsel for innovator companies in judicial review proceedings relating to listing of patents on the Patent Register.
- Acting as counsel for innovator companies in proceedings before the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board and appeals relating to such proceedings.
- Advising clients with respect to data protection, listing patents on the Patent Register and reporting patents to the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board.
- Qualified as Patent Agent, 1997
- LLB. University of Victoria, 1993
- BSc. Universite Queen's. 1990
- Chambers Canada (Intellectual Property: Litigation), 2016-2023; (Life Sciences), 2022
- Chambers Global (Intellectual Property: Litigation), 2016-2022
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (Intellectual Property Law), 2015-2023
- Lexpert Special Edition: Health Sciences, 2021
- Lexpert Special Edition: Technology, 2021
- Litigation Star, Benchmark Canada (Intellectual Property), 2019, 2021
- Appointed Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, 2017
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Biotechnology, 2013-2017; (Intellectual Property), 2019-2022; (Life Sciences & Health), 2022
- Legal 500 Canada (Intellectual Property), 2016-2018
- Local Litigation Star: Ontario, Benchmark Canada (Intellectual Property), 2015-2020
- IAM Patent 1000 (Patent Litigation), 2013-2019
- IP Star, Managing Intellectual Property (Patent: Trademark), 2014-2018, 2022
- Top 250 Life Sciences Patent Litigator, Top 250 Patent Litigator and Top 1000 Patent Practitioner in the world, Intellectual Asset Management Magazine
- 2004 Forty Under 40, Ottawa Business Journal
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Member, American Bar Association
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
My latest insights
DLA Piper Canada increases rankings in 2023 Chambers Canada guide
29 September 2022 .4 minute read
Eight DLA Piper Canada lawyers named leading lawyers in the 2022 Lexpert Special Edition...
16 June 2022 .1 minute read